Author Topic: WELLER of Montreal and Toronto  (Read 3559 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WELLER of Montreal and Toronto
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 September 10 03:50 BST (UK) »
Attestation papers for
Norman F. Weller
b. 23 Sept. 1886 (similar date to Forest)
Reg. # 48810
joined in Montreal November 1914
Next of Kin C. C. or C. E. Weller
244 St. Martin St. Montreal
doesn't list the relationship to next of kin
You may get more information from the complete military file available at the site above.

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 September 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Valerie,
Very many thanks for all your research into this family, and for posting messages with transcriptions of various records.  All greatly appreciated.

Re your first message.  Yes, I do know the www.weller.org.uk website - in fact I supplied the info for this branch of the family (but not as Sam!)

The boxing ref for Billy is new to me, so especial thanks.

Re the census records.  There are some inconsistencies of name and date, not only from census to census but compared with baptism records. I have:

William WELLER, s/o Charles & Janet Alison, born 13 Nov 1880, bapt 13 Jan 1882, Erskine Presbyterian Church.

Lydia Janet Allison WELLER, d/o Charles & Janet Allison, born 18 Dec 1882, bapt 8 Jun 1887, St George's Anglican Church, Montreal.

Normand Forester WELLER, s/o Charles & Janet Allison, born 23 Sep 1886, bapt 8 Jun 1887,  St George's.

Sarah Elizabeth WELLER, d/o Charles 7 Janet Allison, born 26 Jul 1889, bapt 5 Mar 1890, St George's.

Even if the other Charles is not related, I am glad to have the record, as I am currently custodian of the files of the WELLER One-Name Study

Again, many thanks,

Sam
Weller: Bucks, Oxford, Kent, Sussex
Aylward: Hants
Morton: Hants
Thorburn: Lancs; Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire
Thorbrand: Roxburghshire
Parlane: Lancs; Renfrewshire
Goldschmidt: Lancs; Germany
Kassell: Yorks
Hewes: Northants; Leics; Yorks

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 September 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Something to keep in mind when doing any research. Ages and dates were not as important as they are now. For census info many people wrote the names as they sounded and also the person giving the information may only have limited knowledge as to the time frame and may guess at the ages and dates. Also people would use various years as it suited there purpse to make themselves older or younger. Also would put down married or single for the same reasons, such as joining the military or seeking employment. They lived in very different times than we do now. Depending on where the person lived there will not be any records that have survived as in many cases BMD registration was not mandatory. Many church records have not survived or are not available on line.

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 September 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Valerie.

Regarding inaccuracies in censuses, there is a good example in the 1911 that you transcribed earlier.  Willaim and Beatrice's children Helen and William were allegedly born five months apart- in Apr and Sep 1904!

The 1901 census has the wife of Charles WELLER senior as Johana, not Janet Alison.  I will need to check whether this is an error or a second wife.

In my previous post, I did not comment on your kind transcript of the Attestation Papers for Norman [sic.]  Another kind and helpful researcher has sent me the online pages.  Indeed, it is from them that I learnt that Normand F WELLER gave Charles - presumably his brother, their father Charles having died - as next-of-kin, which led to my initiating this topic.  The signatures of the recruit Normand,  his two witnesses, the Justice and the Lt.Col all seem to be in the same hand, so presumably the document is a transcript of the original.

Thanks once more,

Sam
Weller: Bucks, Oxford, Kent, Sussex
Aylward: Hants
Morton: Hants
Thorburn: Lancs; Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire
Thorbrand: Roxburghshire
Parlane: Lancs; Renfrewshire
Goldschmidt: Lancs; Germany
Kassell: Yorks
Hewes: Northants; Leics; Yorks