Author Topic: Act of Parliament prevented me viewing census ......  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
Act of Parliament prevented me viewing census ......
« on: Friday 03 September 10 23:34 BST (UK) »
In 2006 I asked for help on the Lanarkshire board regarding where   Robert M Soutar and his family were on the 1901 Scottish census  .. a transcription was kindly posted on here by  Gadget ....however she said the image of the census was not available .....I was just grateful for the transribed info that she gave me and  gave it no further thought  Yesterday whilst consolidating some records in my file I wondered why I didn;t have the copy of the census too and vaguely remembered the incident described above and remembering I had some credits in the bank for Scotlands People decided to have a look for myself .The initial search said there was an image to view so i paid up the 5 credits   but there was no image .. Hmmm...  That 's not fair I thought . so I emailed   them asking for a refund ... I had a reply within 12 hours  saying that they did not  know why it had not been available to view and kindly sent mE a copy of the census .    It was an image of the transcript I 'd expected ....except ....  annotated in the top right hand corner was handwritten note that says ... well  see below .... I 'm intrigued ... what does this mean?   

Cropped  from the census  to avoid copyright infringement...

ooops  better go find it ...
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Act of Parliament prevented me viewing census ......
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
Just been doing a search to find the original thread, Polly

Here it is:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,171488.msg815941.html#msg815941

I told you what I think it says but won't influence other interpretations. I think that it is in  in the same hand as the rest of the page.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hmm  now that I've posted it   ...it looks like...."Incorporated by Act of Parliament "....  .... what dya think ... and what does that mean ..? ??? :-\
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:50 BST (UK) »
Is this the bit you mean?

Royal Burgh of Coatbridge
(Incorporated by Act of Parliament)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
oops crossed posts ...    ;D..
Is this the bit you mean?

Royal Burgh of Coatbridge
(Incorporated by Act of Parliament)
Yes ... is it referring to the Royal  bit ?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
It might be worth trying to get the page before to see if it says the same - hold on as I have the ref!

Added - it seems that the whole section is duff - just getting a page of HTML code coming up!

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Act of Parliament prevented me viewing census ...... maybe ...
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
 Good idea ...

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
I'll look Gadget ... you've already wasted credits on me today ! :-[ :-X

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I suspect that the wording refers to the Burgh of Coatbridge and not the census itself.  Coatbridge became a Burgh in 1885.

Andy