Author Topic: Act of Parliament prevented me viewing census ......  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
Re: Act of Parliament prevented me viewing census ......
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 September 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
So I  presume Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen are still city counties are they ? I think I'd better brush up on my Scottish Geography and History .... especially as it forms a quarter of my ancestry ;D
Many thanks again Falkyrn  for taking the time to explain that ...
Poll  :)
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 September 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
So I  presume Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen are still city counties are they ? I think I'd better brush up on my Scottish Geography and History .... especially as it forms a quarter of my ancestry ;D
Many thanks again Falkyrn  for taking the time to explain that ...
Poll  :)

Edinburgh was the first "County City" with Glasgow Aberdeen & Dundee following on at later dates.

The race today is to try and achieve City status rather than Burgh as being a City endows the area with certain rights (financially I think) - Stirling & Inverness were the latest to achieve that goal. Poor Paisley has tried and failed several times almost to the point of revelling in the title "Biggest Town in Scotland" (although I think I read a few years ago it had even lost that  ::) )

History I have always found fascinating (except when it came to memorising a pile of dates and place names) Geography was also pretty high on the list until it became bogged down in minutiae

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 September 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
I remember the 1974-75 changes  :-X :-X :-X

I was working in Aberdeen University  on a large health database - it really made a mess of the coding schema  ::) ::) ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 September 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
I remember the 1974-75 changes  :-X :-X :-X

I was working in Aberdeen University  on a large health database - it really made a mess of the coding schema  ::) ::) ::)

Gadget
Those were the days when a computer filled an annexe the size of a small bungalow as I recall Gadget  !! ;D ;D
 So why are Paisley falling short  so often then Falkyrn ... are there  not just a set of criteria that are  required ? Or ...is it just " political ?"  ;D

Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 September 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
The trend today is towards unitary authorities; if government really wanted to save some money it could abolish borough councils in areas where unitary authorities do not already apply. Regarding the Computer the size of a small bungalow; I think this was earlier than the 1970s. I worked in a computerised Accountancy Centre on the railway between 1962 and 1968. In Lincoln where I first worked, the centre was housed in a modern 2 storey unit, quite a large one. Upstairs there were several offices, downstairs apart from the reception and the Senior Managers' offices there were two other rooms, a punch room where documents were entered onto Hollerith type cards for admission into the computer, and the computer room itself, must have been 100feet long X 40 wide. If I remember correctly the machine would only work on 11KV AC precisely, so outages were very frequent. Contrasty that with the late 1980s when everyone had a work station on their desk.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 September 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
The 70s seems so long ago to me Roger  ... I thought we were still using slates and chalk then  ;D ;D
 Thanks for your input everyone .... ... I've learned a few  more things  about Scotland  as a result ...  ;)
Poll