Author Topic: Gravestone Tempo  (Read 13445 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone Tempo
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 October 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
I didn't say John Savage was in Fermanagh in 1901 census, I said "John Savage was born in Co. Fermanagh according to 1901 census." Here's the link again:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Kinsale_Urban/Fisher_Street/1122414
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline boobah

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 October 10 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Aghadowey, I really need to concentrate on all this again, but I am grabbing just minutes at computer and need more time. Yes I did see that on the census, and must go back over all mail again.
Must ring a relative who I have now traced , she may know more.
Sorry re faux pas.  Boobah

Offline trazz

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 June 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
boobah,

I still havent come across the headstone for John Savage, but I did find his obituary.

Fermanagh Times Thurs 12 Aug 1909 page 7
Mr John Savage, Kinsale
Born 75 yrs ago under the shadow of old Topped Mountain the late Mr John Savage
left his home in early youth for Kinsale, Co Cork.
Entering into business life in that ancient town he speedily won his way to an honoured position by his steady perseverance his inflexible honesty, and his spirit of kindness and courtesy.
It may not be out of place to note here that he always attributed his success to the Divine influence that reached him in the memorable Ulster Revival of 59 and was so vital an experience with him throughout his whole life.
After a short illness he died surrounded by his family in his home in Kinsale on Wed 4th Aug and in obedience to his oft-expressed wish his remains were brought all the way from Kinsale to rest among kindred dust in the family burying ground in Tempo churchyard.
A large encourse - some of them old and grey-headed the schoolmates and companions of his youth - assembled at Lisbellaw Railway Station to meet the funeral at 1230 on Sat last while others joined the procession on the way to Tempo.
Upon arrival at the cemetery, the Rev Charles Wilson, Methodist Minister, Lisbellaw conducted the burial service which included the singing of Arise my soul Arise, the favourite hymn of the deceased and gave a brief and appropriate address
The following were present -
Miss M Savage (sister) Messrs Isaac Savage, Richard Savage and John Savage (sons)
The coffin was of massive oak, very heavily mounted and the funeral arrangements were most satisfactorily carried out by Mr J H Wilson Lisnaskea.

The Fermanagh Times
Thurs Aug 5th 1909
Savage - Aug 4th 1909 at Kinsale, John, son of late Richard Savage, Cavancarragh. Funeral from Lisbellaw Station on arrival of the 12.36 train on Sat for Tempo.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
Trazz,  Boobah hasn't been able to log on much lately, but I'll make sure she knows about your posting because she's going to be thrilled to bits with your information!   Why John Savage was buried there, so far from the rest of his family, has always intrigued her.
It's not for me to thank you but I know she'll absolutely want to as soon as she hears!  (though that may be a week or so)
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline trazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Maggie1895

Offline boobah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 July 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Trazz, as Maggie said I am thrilled to get your message right now, it has always puzzled me re his being buried in Tempo.  Thanks ever so much for that, I would never have found that info. otherwise, I do hope you were not inconvenienced or out of pocket finding it, if so please let me know and I will reimburse you.
I have just come back from Cornwall so hence  the delay in answering this, and not being in touch due to family problems.
Many many thanks again .   Boobah

Offline trazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 July 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Boobah,

It was no bother at all. I am always in the Library, at least twice a week, and I was doing
lookups for a few people anyway.

Happy I was able to help, even though I still cant find the family plot in Tempo.

If you would like a copy send me your address (privately) and I will post it to you.

Trazz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 July 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Savage - Aug 4th 1909 at Kinsale, John, son of late Richard Savage, Cavancarragh. Funeral from Lisbellaw Station on arrival of the 12.36 train on Sat for Tempo.

Tithe Applotment Index- Savage, Richard, Derryvullen, Cavancurragh, 1835.
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nirfer/tithe_derryvullen_alpha.htm - Cached

Griffith's Valuation- Cavancarragh (1862) Rebecca Savage. There's also a Richard Savage in the same parish.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

1901 Census- Cavancarragh: Anne Savage
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Castle_Coole/Cavanacurragh/1363781/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline boobah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 July 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Aghadowey, you have been just great all along, what would I have done without you. Lot of problems personally lately, hope to get into the swing of things again soon.

Like Aunt Blanche. Very dignigied looking...
Cheers Boobah