Author Topic: Anna Morrisroe  (Read 9618 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Morrisroe
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 September 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
Just give the Ireland board a "whirl" (they have some great researchers and its free) - no-one would pay that amount surely.  ???  We did have a guy a few weeks ago who had paid someone and he could hardly make contact with them after the money was handed over - so he learnt - nothing.  ???

I checked the site below which has some New York City BMD records but did'nt find John F or Daniel

http://www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never stop searching for the genealogical truth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
John P Was the head of the household and married to Anna.
John F (son) was born in Ohio per 1920 census and family info. Daniel, Edwin and Frances were born in NY

What "Irish board" are you referring to?

As for the cost and my hesitation; I had posted a query on the ancestry.com site and he had replied. His credentials seemed appropriate but... this IS the internet and "things happen".
Morrisroe - County Mayo and  County Roscommon
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 September 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Seamiuse,  You are currently posting on the "USA" board, click the Forum tab at the top of the page and go down the list to the "Ireland" board and post your questions there, you may want to mention that you have already posted on USA board so they don't duplicate any searches.

Good luck  ;)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 September 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
It up to you Seamiuse but I would post on Roscommon which is what you have seen written, then mention your Mayo theory when you see what response you get  ???  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 September 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
The family appears to be in Willoughby in the 1930 Census also.  The age at first marriage given by John & Anna is consistent with a marriage 30 years prior and their oldest son is 31, so there is a chance that they married after they had a child.  However, they appear to be in Buffalo, New York in the 1900 Census and they say they had been married for 5 years.  In the 1900 Census, Anna's birth date is given as March 1878, and her immigration date is given as 1882.  John's immigration date in the 1900 census is given as 1884 and he says he was naturalized.

The 1930 Census gives John's immigration date as 1878 and Anna's immigration date as 1890, and it says they are both naturalized.  If John was already naturalized when they were married, Anna may have gotten citizenship through marriage.

Unless we have different families here, I think these people had no clue when they were born, married, or immigrated.   ???  The Roscommon/Mayo thing might be explained by a townland on the border of the two counties, but the rest of this is all over the place (even compared to other confusing Irish people I've searched for.)  Perhaps there was some lying to cover up a young age and/or out of wedlock births, and then the lies got confused with the facts?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 September 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
The Ohio death certificate for son John Francis Broderick lists mother Anna Morris as born in Mayo, Ireland.  Considering that Anna would have been alive when that info was given, it may be more accurate than what's on her death certificate.

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 September 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
The family appears to be in Willoughby in the 1930 Census also.  The age at first marriage given by John & Anna is consistent with a marriage 30 years prior and their oldest son is 31, so there is a chance that they married after they had a child.  However, they appear to be in Buffalo, New York in the 1900 Census and they say they had been married for 5 years.  In the 1900 Census, Anna's birth date is given as March 1878, and her immigration date is given as 1882.  John's immigration date in the 1900 census is given as 1884 and he says he was naturalized.

The 1930 Census gives John's immigration date as 1878 and Anna's immigration date as 1890, and it says they are both naturalized.  If John was already naturalized when they were married, Anna may have gotten citizenship through marriage.

Unless we have different families here, I think these people had no clue when they were born, married, or immigrated.   ???  The Roscommon/Mayo thing might be explained by a townland on the border of the two counties, but the rest of this is all over the place (even compared to other confusing Irish people I've searched for.)  Perhaps there was some lying to cover up a young age and/or out of wedlock births, and then the lies got confused with the facts?

- When John F died 7-21-38 his mother Anna was the informant on the death cert and listed her place of birth as Mayo.

The copy of the 1920 census I have shows John immigrating in 1884. Anna is shown to have immigrated in 1889. Both show naturalized in 1889.

hmmm I don't have a copy of the 1930 census. I'll TRY and sort that out.

As for being exact, and word of mouth history, yes, I understand how things can be muddled.  :(

below is part of John F's death cert.
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 September 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
Would this help Seaimuse

1930 Census Willoughby, Lake, Ohio

John Broderick 64 Born Irish Free State. Married at age 34 years. Immigrated 1878. NA. Signalman. Steam Railway.
Anna Broderick 50 Born Irish Free State. Married at age 20 years. Immigrated 1890. NA
John F Broderick 31 Born Ohio. Labourer. Building Construction. Veteran - later
Daniel P Broderick 29 Born NY. Pressman. Rubber works
Thomas E Broderick 26 Born NY Reporter. Newspaper
Francis J Broderick 24 Born NY Emplyment Clerk.Department Store.
Helen A Broderick 22 Born Ohio Sales Lady. 5 and 10 Store
Katherine L Broderick 20 Born Ohio
Margaret M Broderick 15 Born Ohio
Ronaldo J Broderick 12 Born Ohio

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 September 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
Ahhhhh I beat y'too it  lol. I did some digging in m'archives and pulled out the 1930 census (what else is there t'do at 3am right?), to add it to the permanent binders I have.

Much of the information I have I ascertained while I lived in Cleveland as Willoughby is just outside th'city and was easily attainable. For th'most part all the children went to school locally so there was a large amount of historical records, all the way down to original grade cards!  lol.

It astounds me that my mothers natural family was within 30 minutes of her and she never knew it, well not until I began my "discussions" with the Ohio adoption board, and won, to get her sealed adoption records opened about 15+ yrs ago. Not long into the search my mother (Born Loretta Ann) Jane passed on to a better life. To see her face whenever I discovered a new bit of information about her natural family is still etched in my mind.

In the file was I call "the original 6",  which were the adoption records, two pages of notes by the caseworker AND her original birth certificate (which I was told should have been destroyed).

The "Thomas" in the 1930 census is actually "Edwin Thomas" (as seen in other census') was always referred to in life as ET. He went from a reporter in 1930 to the owner and publisher of that city's newspaper.  ;D

The problem I have is going backward from willoughby and attaining;
John and Anna's marriage record, immigration records for both (still not sure where they came into the US), and naturalization info and then back to Ireland.

Ahhhh one day.... Onnnnne day it'll all fall into place.

Hence why I started a few years ago writing a bit of a manuscript/book (probably die before I ever do anything with it  lol) "In my travels - A Genealogical search for our true roots". Can't finish a book without the few remaining chapters though..... (shakes head) onnnnne day... or, perhaps one of MY descendants will figure it out  lol.

Broderick - Co. Kerry