Author Topic: Anna Morrisroe  (Read 9605 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Morrisroe
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 September 10 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Seamiuse.

Co-incidentally there appears to be a thread which has been revived on Morrisroe on the Roscommon Board - probably not your line but maybe worth asking. Other researchers may have come across your Patrick and Mary Morrisroe. May even be able to look up info for you.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,252782.0.html

And interestingly on another older thread re Morrisroe:-

There seems to be very few people with that exact surname in Ireland - e.g. on Griffiths Valuation (1847 to 1864 ) there are a total of 12 households in all of Ireland.

Roscommon      8   
Sligo      3   
Mayo      1   

from Slaters directories :

1870 : Patrick Morrisroe ,  Ballinafad, Boyle Co. Roscommon  - Grocer

1881 : Morrisroe Patrick, Ballinafad, Boyle Co. Roscommon  - Publican

1894 : John Morrisroe,  Charlestown, Co. Mayo - Baker

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,346255.0.html

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never stop searching for the genealogical truth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 September 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thank You! Thank You!
Morrisroe - County Mayo and  County Roscommon
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 September 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Seamiuse,

Its a pleasure. Could be interesting. best of luck - let us know how you get on please ?

Regards
Sandra  8)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 September 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
You bet I will Sandra! I plan to be a regular user, and contributor!
I have about 400yrs of information on the Newkirk/Neikirk/Nikirk family. back in the 70's a relative of mine (on the adopted side) compiled an extensive record of that line. His name was George Ginader R.I.P., a "Who's Who in the World". George was a Master Librarian and not only traveled the world setting up/re-organizing libraries he worked on parts of the library of congress. His travels enabled him access to incredible records. I only wish he would be around now to help me in this quest!    :-\  In the 70's after my adopted GF (William Adair Newkirk, son of Cornelius) passed on, my mother donated back to Schenectady the ORIGINAL Schenectady Patent that had hung in his study for years.

Ahhhh the history we all hold........
Onward I go!

Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 September 10 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Seamiuse,

Brilliant. Luv the ears !! Yes, I guessed you had spent numerous years researching. Do you think that your Patrick Morrisroe was a cousin to Bishop Patrick Morrisroe 19 Feb 1867 ?

Not sure Seamiuse is your name - so if it isn't would yours have 5 letters in it ? 

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 September 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Seamiuse,

Brilliant. Yes, I guessed you had spent numerous years researching. Do you think that your Patrick Morrisroe was a cousin to Bishop Patrick Morrisroe 19 Feb 1867 ?

Not sure Seamiuse is your name - so if it isn't would yours have 5 letters in it ? 

Ah Sandra, y'do your research well. I believe strongly that Bishop Patrick was a close cousin, or brother to Anna's father as Anna had only one brother and we are told (by a fella on ancestry.com who supposedly found her family records but wants $200 for it. He say's the brothers name is not Patrick. Grrrr what I would do (aside from shell out several hundred $) t'get hold of her birth cert, or family info.

We have a letter from Anna to Bishop Patrick dated early 1900's telling him of her safe travel to the US. A later note (barely readable from age) by another relative who mentions Bishop Patrick as "a close relation" he will be visiting shortly while he travels to Ireland at the time of a family gathering.

As for the "5 letters" you are right, although the given name I haven't been called that for many many many years.

"In my travels" I have had much help and been provided pictures, manuscripts etc from Bishop Patrick's home Diocese of Achonry, Bishop Flynn and his archivists.
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 September 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Seamiuse,

Hokey dokey. Thought I'd made the right connection - saves me alot of typing. Quite enjoyed reading through it all this morning. Seems to quite a few who have a cousin connection - no doubt you have those well documented as well.

Sandra  8)

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 00:56 BST (UK) »
documented cousins? Nope, I fling em aside at present in search of the only ones I need lol. I'm as bad as m'dwarf pinscher diggin dirt!   lol

Morrisroe is pretty distinct to the area of Ballaghadereen, Roscommon and Charlestown, Mayo ... we're all related SOMEhow!  lol Sometimes the difficulty becomes WHEN you're looking for someone as the county line changed mid 1800's  >:(
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thats a shame - you must determine the specific parish or townland from which your ancestor came  - obviously made difficult, primarily due to the destruction of the Record Tower in Dublin Castle in the early 18th century and the disastrous 1922 fire in the Ireland Public Record Office, which nearly obliterated civil records. However, you have a few clues about that which is more than most people seem to have. According to the Griffith Valuation 1847 - 1864 there were'nt that many Morrisroe families in Roscommon and Mayo
We all have different ways of working but for me, if you can't make progress one way then you need to find an alternative,  casting a wider net and looking for siblings, cousins, friends, and neighbors. Like most communities at that time families stuck together in groups. The goal is to get down to the specific townland in Ireland, including parishes, baronies, poor law unions, dioceses, probate districts, and counties. May even end up as a One Name Study to accomplish your aims and even then it may still be a "proverbial brick wall".

Wishing you all the best with your continuing research.

Regards
Sandra