Author Topic: SINCOCK/SIMCOCK & CHENOWETH Cornwall to South Australia  (Read 24356 times)

Offline tpibob44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SINCOCK/SIMCOCK & CHENOWETH Cornwall to South Australia
« on: Saturday 04 September 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
John SINCOCK wife unknown only known child John born 1812 Crowan m 1835 Martha CHENOWETH b 1814 Cornwall (Parents Samuel and Martha unknown)
Children John 1836, William 1836, Mary 1939 all born Crowan, Mary Christened Perranuthnoe 28/11/1839
These 5 travelled to Tasmania arriving in 1843 Edward is recorded as born aboard the ship King William and Martha was born in Hobart 1844 and soon after they moved to South Australia where Jane was born in Adelaide 1845 and Catherine in Mt Barker 1847 Samuel 1878 Susannah 1850 and Joseph in Kanmantoo in 1854.
Any assistance in growing my ancestral tree of the parents of John and Martha and their siblings would be appreciated.
MAY BEDGGOOD PACKER ALLEN RODWAY WORKMAN HIGHMAN PIERCE KIRKMAN HADLEY

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SINCOCK/SIMCOCK & CHENOWETH Cornwall to South Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 10 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a  John SIMCOCK that seems to match your John who was born in Cornwall c 1836 and emigrated  to South Australia

John SIMCOCK married Julia Ann THOMAS in Callington,  South Australia 23 Feb 1856.
Source:  www.nla.gov.au  Advertiser (Adelaide South Aust) Sat 24 Feb 1906 Golden Wedding notice:  Simcock-Thomas.-At Callington, on Feb 23, 1856, by Rev. R. C. Flackhard, John, eldest son of I (?) Simcock, Kanmantoo, to Julia A., eldest daughter of Nicholas Thomas, Callington. Present address Norwood

John SIMCOCK died in Norwood, South Australia 14 Jun 1915. 
Source: www.nla.gov.au  The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA )Tues 15 June 1915 Death notice: SIMCOCK.-On the 14th June, at Muller-street, Norwood. John, beloved husband of Julia Simcock, in his 80th year, late of Kanmantoo.

Julia Ann SIMCOCK (nee THOMAS) was alive in 1919 - she placed an in memorium notice for her husband in the newspaper in Jun 1919.  She died sometime before the end of 1925 in South Australia

So far I've only found one child for them:  Alfred SIMCOCK born South Australia about 1857, died Moonta South Australia 05 Feb 1901.  I haven't found any descendants for him yet.

Julia Ann THOMAS was born in Cornwall and arrived in South Australia with her parents and siblings on 27 Jan 1848 on the ship "Success"  Two of her uncles and two male cousins were also on this ship.

Cheers
barb

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Just found a great article by John SIMCOCK in the Advertiser (Adelaide)  Saturday 2 September 1899 page 4
www.newspapers.nla.gov.au 
Title: AN AUSTRALIAN PIONEER.SIXTY YEARS IN THE COLONIES. AN INTERESTING NARRATIVE. SOME EARLY COPPER MINES

cheers
Barb

Offline tpibob44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb
We should definately get in touch
I have 11 children for John
My wife father is a ditect decendant of John and Martha and John and Julia Ann
Bob
MAY BEDGGOOD PACKER ALLEN RODWAY WORKMAN HIGHMAN PIERCE KIRKMAN HADLEY

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 10 21:20 GMT (UK) »
This is great. I have a lot  of info on the other descendants of the other family members, but this is the first time I have made contact with a descendant of Nicholas THOMAS

I am putting in the names of Julia Ann's THOMAS family into this thread so that other THOMAS researchers will be alerted

The THOMAS family all arrived in Adelaide on the same ship  in 1848:
3 brothers Mauris THOMAS, John THOMAS & Nicholas THOMAS; 
The sons of Mauris THOMAS, Mauris THOMAS (jnr) and Charles THOMAS;
The wife and children of Nicholas THOMAS.

Were the 11 children the offspring of Julia Ann & John?

Could you please answer these questions for me
What was the name of Julia Ann's mother? 
What were the names of Julia Ann's siblings?
Was Priscilla THOMAS a sister or relation of Julia Ann's?

Cheers
Barb

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 10 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb and Bob,

The Register 26 Feb 1856

On the 23 Feb at Callington, on the Bremer, by the Rev Robert C FLOCKART, John, eldest son of Mr John SIMCOCK, storekeeper, Kanmantoo to Julia Ann, Eldest daughter of Mr N THOMAS, farmer of Callington

Cornwall Census if Free Online.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,144624.0.html

I note

HO107/142/7 Folio 45 page 10
Bridge
Illogan

THOMAS Nicholas 25 Y Sawyer
THOMAS Mary 25 Y
THOMAS Julia 8 Y
THOMAS John 4 Y
THOMAS William 3 Y
THOMAS James 2 Y
THOMAS Mary 1 Y

I do not see this family in 1851

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
BISA

SIMCOCK John parents John and Martha nee CHENOWYTH born 14 Sep 1835 Crowan Cornwall and died 14 Jun 1915 Adelaide SA buried WTC  arrived about 1845 from Tasmania.  occupation Miner, Storekeeper residence Callington, Kanmantoo, Norwood religion Methodist
married 26 Feb 1856 Callington SA to Julia Ann nee THOMAS father N. born May1833 died 7 Jun 1920 children, 5 sons, 5 daus

Julia Ann SIMCOCK died 7 Jun 1920 Adelaide Dist Ade 438 110. She was aged 87 a widow relative John SIMCOCK deceased husband residence Adelaide.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 November 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Births

SIMCOCK Mary Ann 3 Feb 1857 Strathalbyn Dist Str 10 171Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia Ann THOMAS

SIMCOCK Alfred 11 May 1858 St Ives Dist Str Symbol A 14 288 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia THOMAS

SIMCOCK Sarah 21 Sep- 1860 Scotts Creek Dist Str 21 400 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia Ann THOMAS

SIMCOCK Elizabeth 28 May 1862 Callington Dist Str 25 246 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia Ann THOMAS

SINCOCK Benjamin 6 Feb 1864 Kanmantoo Dist Str 30 136 parents John SINCOCK and Julia Ann THOMAS

SIMCOCK Edwin 12 Nov 1865 Scotts Creek Dist Str 39 376 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia formerly SMITH nee THOMAS

SIMCOCK Isaac 27 Apr 1869 Menkoo Farm Dist Str 73 436 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia THOMAS

SIMCOCK Oscar Jacob 2 Aug 1871 Nr Kanmantoo Dist Str 99 339 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia formerly SMITH nee THOMAS

SIMCOCK Thomas 21 Apr 1873 Nr Kanmantoo Dist Str 122 544 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia formerly SMITH nee THOMAS

SIMCOCK Emma 3 Sep 1876 North Yelta Dist Dal 171 464 Parents John SIMCOCK and Julia Ann THOMAS

Thats 10 - I also see this but Julia seems a little old

SIMCOCK Arthur William 7 Nov 1886 Kanmantoo Dist Str 384 230 father not recorded mother Julia Ann SIMCOCK

This looks like the Smith Connection

SMITH William 22 Aug 1853 Not recorded Dist Ade 4 206 parents William SMITH and Julia Ann THOMAS

SMITH William 28 single father not recorded = THOMAS Julia 17 single father not recorded 29 Jun 1850 St James Church Blakiston Dist Ade 14 148

SIMCOCK John 21 single father not recorded = SMITH Julia Ann 23 widow father not recorded 23 Feb 1856 residence of M THOMAS Callington on the Bremer Dist Nai Symbol A 25 270

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 November 10 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Julia Ann Thomas THOMAS was baptised 20 Apr 1836 at Illogan parents Nicholas and Mary

Her brother John was baptised 12 Dec 1836 so Julia was probably not a baby (since census and other records seem to indicate she was born about 1833)

Now there is a Nicholas THOMAS = Mary ROSCROW 13 Feb 1836 in Illogan - possibly a reason for the late baptism

Looks like Nicholas died 23 Apr 1873 Nr Callington Dist Str 52 401 He was aged 60 status relative not recorded residence near Callington

No sign of a death or remarriage for Mary