Author Topic: Samways in dorset  (Read 16110 times)

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samways in dorset
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 16 April 22 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi jbnorris73, In our search for Samway, we have a DNA project. I sent your post to the administrator in the states and quite a lengthy reply came back...appears we are all on the same page..he went on to say .... I am a descendant of John Sammis (1643-1693) of Windsor, Connecticut through my maternal grandmother, Annie Florence Samis (1873-1927) of Drayton, Ontario, Canada.
The progenitor of the U.S. Sammis Line and the Canadian Samis line was John Sammis (1643-1693) born in Windsor, Hartford County, Colony of Connecticut (after 1776, State of Connecticut). John Sammis (1643-1693) was the only son of Richard Samways (1615-1650), born in Netherbury, Dorset County, England. Richard was the grandson of John Samways (1566-1639). Richard left Dorset, England in 1630 on the ship Mary and John and settled in Windsor, Connecticut the same year. Note: an email posted, March 8, 2010, at the Long Island Surnames (aka: Long Island Genealogies) website by Richard Samways (1937-2019), a member of the Samis DNA Project ... now deceased, made this comment concerning the surname change from Samways to Sammis ... "change of name [from Samways] to Sammis in the mid 1600's, in this family [Richard Samways (1615-1650)], almost certainly due to the very strong Dorset accent and the fact that very few could read or write their own names." I have more if interested....

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 17 April 22 18:10 BST (UK) »
RickyJack, Yes! I'm interested in finding out more information, definitely. Thank you for offering.

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 17 April 22 20:05 BST (UK) »
jbnorris73
Ive had a crack at sending a private message, if I dont hear from you n a few days Ill assume it failed
Cheers

Offline Blueviolet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 17 July 22 04:26 BST (UK) »
I am also a descendant of Mary Ann Samways born 1817 Dorset who married William Dement and died in Nelson, New Zealand.
Hello helmar if you're still on here!

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 24 September 22 19:34 BST (UK) »
Yes! My whole paternal line is Samways! I can trace them back to 1596 in Abbotsbury and Netherbury, Dorset. I have a tree on Ancestry and FamilySearch that my aunt and I have been working on.

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 25 September 22 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
Just checked which I havent done so, for far to long...Ancestry
John [Johannes]Samwayes [Sammis/Samways/Samwaies] there are 1257 Family trees there.
If someone can find a Major Samways in one of them Please let me Know "almost immediately"
Cheers Rick