Author Topic: My wretch of a Jane Bentley  (Read 2420 times)

Offline HellenE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My wretch of a Jane Bentley
« on: Sunday 05 September 10 04:52 BST (UK) »
I have her married ( John Steward in 1821 in St Georges Hanover Square) I have her buried ( sussex 1889)  I have her addresses and all bar one of her children's births marriages and deaths. I even know where and when the witnesses on her marriage certificate were married ( John Bentley and Ann Halsey). So why is the woman a wretch...every damn census she says she was born in St Georges Hanover Square abt 1800 ( and yes I realise thats the parish....tho I did have visions for a while of her mother labouring in the church porch). I have a number of her children staying with another Jane Bentley in 1841 in Brighton Sussex ( and she's a widow so thats another dead end) while Jane is in Shropshire with 2 of her other children. She has been hanging off my tree for over 10 years and i must admit that of all the people in my family tree she has become the greatest nuisance.
The family stories include a bentley who was a sucessful chimney sweep ( and if its John her witness i found him in the 1841 census in mayfair as a sweep employing 4 men ) but tying to find her parents is looking like a nightmare. Any suggestions or should I just ignore her ?
Bentley,Rigby,Steward,

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My wretch of a Jane Bentley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 September 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
hi hellen
i,ve looked up the births for 1800 &1801 st george hanover sq but cant see a bentley of any description .
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 September 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
Could she have been a widow when she married in 1821 :-\ if so she would be born under another name, have you searched for a prior marriage  ???

What was her age given  on the census's are they as  consitant  as her place of birth ???
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 September 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
She was a spinster when she married by licence in 1821, probably because her husband was not 'of the parish' or because she wasn't baptised into the Church of England.

Have you looked for a non-conformist family?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline HellenE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 10 03:54 BST (UK) »
No she's a spinster...to add to the confusion on the subject of my Jane one of my cousins is in possession of a silver tea service on the back of the plate is inscribed the following " To my grandaughter on her marriage"+ The silver smiths mark...a Benjamin Bentley who as I already know was a reasonably famous silversmith in London but he died somewhere around the 1740's so I'm not claiming him ( well at least not without a stack full of proof ,my rule is unless I can prove it they are not mine) And yes I've hunted the St George registers too and the License marriage allegations also give me nothing...tho I do have reason to know why they married in a rush their eldest son was born a tad early.he was born in 1822 and died at several months of age. One of their sons was also christened in St Georges ( John Bentley Steward ) 12 Feb 1823..so the family seems to have had some form of attachment to the surrounding area.
Bentley,Rigby,Steward,