Author Topic: Lewis ROUGH - Tasmanian death  (Read 2312 times)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lewis ROUGH - Tasmanian death
« on: Sunday 05 September 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi There ;)
Is there anyone able to lookup a death in Tasmania for me.
I do realise that it may not have been registered.
Lewis Rough was a convict in Tas came there in 1839 I think he survived till 1849 and received a ticket of leave. I think he may have died soon after.
Thanks
Jo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis ROUGH - Tasmanian death
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 September 10 08:16 BST (UK) »
I see him in 1841 on a list of convict particulars, Tasmania, having arrived on the ship Layton and employed as a police constable.

He departed London 26 July 1839 and arr Tasmania 10 Dec 1839.

You have probably seen the info on the Tas records:
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11

There is also mention of a pardon for this person in 1852/53 (same names with phonetic spelling):

Lewey Rough, arrived on the Leighton, convicted Durham, 6 March 1839, sentence Life, served 13 years 9 months at the time of pardon.

So it looks as though he lasted till 1852/3 at least.  ???

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 September 10 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the added dates, I found it very hard to read some of the data available.
One of his daughters did say he was dead on her marriage certificate(England) in about 1855.
The daughters did say he had various employments so it was hard to be sure what they actually knew or enhances, especially what they tried to hide, as he tried to stab someone.
I hadn't seen data past 1849.
Thankyou for the added data. sadly his wife had already died by this time.
I had seen he had been whipped for drinking. I also had seen he was a convict constable.
I can't find him being mentioned in the newspapers.
All so sad.  Something good though his grandson came out to Maleny QLd later and was a very successful farmer.
Thankyou for this.
regards,
Jo :)

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 September 10 08:46 BST (UK) »
Jo - do you have the report on the case from the Newcastle Courant (15 March 1839)?  Dazey

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 September 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
No I don't,
Please would you be kind to send it to me.
regards,
Jo :D

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 September 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
LEWIS ROUGH (36) was charged with stabbing Martha Lomas, with intent to murder her, on the 1st of December.  There was a second count in the indictment, charging the intent to do some grievous bodily harm.
Mr Lotherington stated the case, and called:
Martha Lomas - who said she lived in Sunderland, and knew the prisoner.  She lived with him six years, and left him six months ago.  She lodges now with Mr Clark, bread baker, Sunderland.  The prisoner came to her on 1 December, about 5 o'clock in the evening.  He then asked her for some money which she owed him, and she said she could not give him any just then; he said he would come back again.  There was no anger between them then.  Between 6 and 7 in the evening he came back again.  She was then standing with her back to the fire, and he said "Martha, what are you going to do?" and she said "Do, what can I do?"  She did not say that in an angry tone.  He raised his hand, and she thought he was going to hit her on the face, and she held up her hand to ward it off.  He then drew his hand down and struck her on the side.  She did not see a knife in his hand then.  She ran into the kitchen and fell down.  She was ill for a few days, and is bad still.
The Judge here put some questions to the prosecutrix, for the purpose of ascertaining if the prisoner was sane.  She replied he was very violent and sometimes after drink did not know what he was doing.  He was attended at Hull by a medical man because he was in a state of insanity.  She did nothing to provoke him, except leaving him.  He had not used her ill before she left him.
Jane Clark gave a similar account of the transaction, and added that when the prisoner came in he had his right hand in his pocket; after the second blow was struck she saw a knife in his hand.  The prosecutrix said she was struck and ran into the kitchen, and fell down.  The prisoner sat down and lighted his pipe and witness said he would be taken by the police.  He said he did not care, he would sit til the police came, he was not afraid.  Witness then went to the prosecutrix and found her bleeding, the blow had been struck with great force; it had gone through ten folds of her clothes.  Witness was there when the policeman came in, but she did not hear what the prisoner said to him. 

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
A man named Fawcett said the prisoner had not time to open a knife; it was a clasp knife.
Henry Thompson, surgeon, said he examined the wound.  It had passed through the abdominal muscles, but did not puncture the intestines.  There was no alarming symptoms attending the wound.  Witness attended the prosecutrix 8 days. 
Whinnem, a policeman, said he approached the prisoner; he asked him if she was his wife, and he said she was not his lawful wife.  Witness asked why he struck her as it was a serious thing, and he said he did not care while she went to such places as she did.  Witness searched him and found a knife with 2 blades.  He asked which blade he had done it with, and he said with the largest one. 
The examination of the prisoner, taken before Richard White Esq, was put in and read.  It stated that he could bring 20 witnesses to prove that he had been insane for 5 weeks.  He was willing to die for her, provided she was brought to some decent place.  In his defence, the prisoner said they had been living together 6 years and every day knit her closer in his affections.  They lived together in a comfortable sphere of life till he lost his palce by ill-health.  He then came to Sunderland, and was obliged to accept a situation as fireman on board a steam boat, where his wages were small, and they had frequent disputes about laying them out.  She then left him and went to a brothel in Sunderland.  Being anxious to reclaim her, he went and asked her if she would come back to him.  He had lent her 14 shillings to enable her to go to place, and on 1st December he called to ask her for it, and she said she had no money.  He then took out his pen-knife and threatened to cut off her pocket, when she snatched the knife out of his hand and ran into the house with it, and he followed her and tried to take it from her.  When she called out that she was stabbed, his heart sank within him, for he knew that it must have been done in the scuffle for the knife.  It was not likely that he would have gone there to stab her before so many people.
Fawcett and the prosecutrix were re-called by the Judge, and they denied the prisoners statement.  His Lordship then called Mr Green, the Governor of the gaol, and questioned him with regard to the sanity of the prisoner.  Mr G stated that he had no reason to think that the prisoner was not in his right mind.  The surgeon of the prison was also called and he said he had no doubt that the prisoner was perfectly sane.  His Lordship then summed up the evidence and said, if the jury should think that the prisoner was in a state of insanity at the time he committed the deed, they would acquit him of this charge, and he would be detained until her Majesty's pleasure should be made known with respect to him.  But to be insane it was not enough that he should be subject to fits of violent passion; they must be satisfied that he was labouring under some mental delusion, which rendered him incapable  of distinguishing between right and wrong.  If they thought him in his senses at the time, they would judge of his intention from his conduct.  The jury then retired, and after a short consultation, returned a verdict of guilty on the second count, and the prisoner was sentenced to be transported for the term of his natural life.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 September 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi There Dazey999,
I am astounded, and amazed at the clarity. (what was you source)? I did think I could make out that he stabbed a lady over 30 pounds.
I started to doubt whether I had the right Lewis, but do think it is the right Lewis. for his last child was apparently Matthew and he was born about 1834 or 1835 which gives him time to leave his wife Mary and be with this girl.
There is something written in his conduct sheets in Tasmania, where he says his wife Mary was in Deptford, which she indeed was. It is all very sad.
I need to decide where to go from here.
Thankyou, again for your hard work.
Jo