Author Topic: Tom Harnett and his John  (Read 2447 times)

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tom Harnett and his John
« on: Sunday 05 September 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information about Tom Harnett and his son John. Here is what I know - Thomas Patrick Harnett was born at Moncton, New Brunswick on April 30th 1917, the son of David Harnett - I do not know his mother's name.  In 1938 he joined the RCAF; then resigned accepting an RAF commission in November of that year. When war broke out in 1939 he moved over to the UK. He was stationed at RAF Penrhos near Pwllheli, Caernarvonshire, North Wales where he met my mother's sister Rhiannon Williams - our family always called her Rhian. They were married on October 23 1940 in Catterick, Yorkshire where he had been posted. He moved back to Canada in January 1941 to work as an instructor and I assume that Rhian went with him. Their son John was born in 1941 or 1942 - I cannot find his birth anywhere in the UK so I have to assume he was born in Canada.

They moved back in 1943 and Thomas Hartnett transferred back to the RCAF in Novmember 1943. Rhian died of a brain haemorrhage on November 30 1943 aged 23 in a hospital in London. My mother Gwen Wiliams and her father Tom Williams looked after young John in North Wales whilst Thomas Harnett continued his war service. I have some photographs of them.

Thomas Harnett was repatriated to Canada in November 1945 after the end of hostilities and he took John with him. Tragically young John was killed ca 1947 in an accident with a truck - I have no more details than that.

In the 1970s some people approached my mother to say that Tom Harnett was living in the Carribean and that he wanted to make contact. My mother would have none of it. I was not at home at the time - my brother told me about it.

I have seen on one website the Thomas Harnett died in tragic circumstances in December 1991. I know no more than that. My mother passed away in 1994 and she never talked about her sister and the little boy.

I would really appreciate if anyone could throw any more light on this tragic story.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Harnett and his John
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 September 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action?redef=1
 - seems to be a John D. Harnett b. 1942 heading to Canada in 1946 here.

http://archives.gnb.ca/
 - shows a John David Harnett died in 1947.

http://airforce.ca/honours-awards/search-awards-database/
 - there is some information on Tom's war service here.

I would suggest contacting the website of whoever mentioned Tom's death in 1991, to ask them the source of that information.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Harnett and his John
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE WEBSITE INFORMATION. IT'S LED ME ON TO MORE USEFUL INFORMATION.

thanks again