Author Topic: John Bell Merry Know, Knaresdale, Northumberland UK  (Read 2747 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bell Merry Know, Knaresdale, Northumberland UK
« on: Monday 06 September 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
Seeking any references to the birth or marriage of John BELL of Merry Know in the Knaresdale area of Northumberland. Furthermore also seeking confirmation of the birth of his son Thomas.

I imagine John would have been born ~ 1665 or thereabouts and would have married ~ 1685-1690 (wife unknown) but so far I have not seen any evidence of this family in the published records!

According to a private genealogy Thomas was born ~ 1690 but I have not seen any likely birth/baptismal entry to match this.

The genealogy also states that Thomas Bell died in 1755 and is buried at Alston on 23/1/1755. Furthermore that his wife Anne was buried with him on 4/1/1764. Can someone please confirm these events?

Thanks & much appreciated
Regards,
Rob

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: John Bell Merry Know, Knaresdale, Northumberland UK
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

According to genuki Knaresdale parish records are only available from 1695 so it is unlikely that you will be able to get any confirmation of data from before this time.

Alston is in Cumbria which is a little off my patch I'm afraid.

Christine

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway c-side...
What about the Alston deaths? Would there be a way of clarifying those ones?

Cheers,
Rob

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 17:35 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't know, Rob.

I have looked on genuki but the Cumbrian section is not clear on dates for parish records.

Perhaps a post on the Cumberland board would give you a better answer.

Christine

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 March 13 06:55 BST (UK) »
Are there any likely entries for Thomas BELL born ~ 1692 at Knaresdale, father was a John BELL, apparently from Merry Know...

Also is there much chance of locating more specifically where this family group lived?

Thanks, Rob

Offline kath24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
Merry Know or Merryknow in Knarsdale, Northumberland has these location coordinates ...

Latitude: 54.87429518738862, Longitude: -2.514856177337606

Northumberland:  Parker, Proud, Rodham, Armstrong, Tait, Fordyce, Purves, Young, Buck, Middlemiss, Dunbar, Gregg, Reed, Dunn
Durham:  Parker
Dundee, Scotland:  Liddell, Cathro, Neish, Gordon, Forrester
Others:  Cave, Hives, Drawhill
Antrim, Ireland:  Young

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kath, so are you saying that Merry Know is a part of Knaresedale? or perhaps a group of farms near to that town? Cheers, Rob..

Offline kath24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 May 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
Knarsdale was/is not a nuclear town in the same sense as Alston, but a parish extending along part of the River South Tyne valley between Haltwhistle and Alston. Sadly a Google map can be quite misleading, because very few landmarks are recorded; however, if you are in UK and have access to Bing maps, there is an Ordnance Survey detailed map option which shows Merryknow a mile or so south west of Knarsdale Town Green (enter "Knarsdale, Northumberland").

To see the extent of Knarsdale parish the southern boundary runs roughly along the route of the  Thornhope Burn and the Barhaugh Burn - Thornhope, Williamston in Knarsdale parish, Lintley farm in Kirkhaugh parish. In the north the main road A689 takes a west (left hand) turn at Lambley. The parish boundary runs roughly along the Glendue Burn a couple of miles south of Lambley - Eals in Knarsdale parish, Whitwham and Tows Bank in Lambley parish.

Merryknow today is, I believe, a couple of buildings occupied by a single family, but in the 1700s there were a few families together, mainly Wallis and Walton, with the occasional mention in the parish transcript of Parker, Moor and Bell.

Alston parish registers begin 1701. There is no extra information recorded for your Bells ...
Thomas Bell of Aldston buried Jan 23 1754 (probably 1755, as the record appears displaced)
Ann Bell of Alston buried Jan 4 1764

A word of warning ... You will have found that the name Bell is very common in the area, so although I have quite a lot of Bells in my own database I hesitate to comment on an isolated query without knowing the ancestral route by which you have reached the family at Merryknow. Any Bells at Merryknow may not actually be connected with Bells in Alston. Sorry I have not tracked your previous Forum messages, but be sure to extend your research "sideways" as well as direct line, in order to be sure you have the right family line.

Hope that helps.
Kath

Northumberland:  Parker, Proud, Rodham, Armstrong, Tait, Fordyce, Purves, Young, Buck, Middlemiss, Dunbar, Gregg, Reed, Dunn
Durham:  Parker
Dundee, Scotland:  Liddell, Cathro, Neish, Gordon, Forrester
Others:  Cave, Hives, Drawhill
Antrim, Ireland:  Young