Author Topic: Samuel Austin, a soldier in Jersey?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Shaun932

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Austin, a soldier in Jersey?
« on: Monday 06 September 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
My gggggrandfather, Samuel Austin (1779-1824) and his soon-to-be wife, Susannah Coombes (1795-18??), had a son, Zachariah, in 1813 in Jersey. Since Samuel and Susannah's roots appear to have been from around Uplyme and Chard on the mainland, I assume they went to Jersey because Zachariah was to be born out-of-wedlock. I have hit a roadblock in researching Samuel, but since he was a soldier I was wondering if he had some military connection to Jersey. Can anyone help me find out? Perhaps I can find out more about him and Susannah. Thanks. 
Austin, Coombes, Parker, Sweetland, Newberry, Farr, Paul, Beadle

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Austin, a soldier in Jersey?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Shain

Just to confirm that Zacharie Austin was baptised in St Martins Church, 5th Jan 1813, parents Samuel and Susannah Austin. It gives no further details.

However...

There is a marriage in St Helier, 7th March 1812 of Samuel Austin (Bombadier R I Artillery) to Susannah Combes ( only 1 "o"). By my calculations, this means Zacharie wasn't born out of wed-lock and was also conceived in wed-lock (just)!

Coincidentally, I have been researching for another military birth around the same date. Have a look at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,478636.0.html it may be useful.

Stewart