Author Topic: Sarah Lewis / Sarah Allen - are they the same person?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Lewis / Sarah Allen - are they the same person?
« on: Tuesday 07 September 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm trying to find out what happened to my 2g grandfather's sister, Sarah Lewis, who is a bit of an enigma.  She appears in the 1851 census as a six year old at Little Brickhill in Buckinghamshire, giving her place of birth as Aspley in Bedfordshire.  In 1861 she's still at Little Brickhill (same parents / siblings / place of birth) but she's only listed as being 12.  I haven't been able to find a baptism or birth registration for her - which is odd as I've found baptisms for all but one of her siblings and plausible looking birth registrations for all her siblings born after 1837.

In 1871 she appears to be a nurse at St Mary's Hosptial in Paddington - aged 22, born Aspley, Bedfordshire.  Thereafter she disappears.  However, the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses do all list a Sarah Allen, wife of Peter Allen (with various children) living in Paddington.  This Sarah Allen gives her place of birth as Aspley, Bedfordshire (1881), Ashley, Bedfordshire (1891) and Little Brickhill, Buckinghamshire (1901).  Only trouble is I can't see any marriage for a Peter Allen and Sarah of any surname - let alone Peter Allen and Sarah Lewis.

So - can anyone find:
A birth or baptism for Sarah Lewis probably in the mid to late 1840s (she's not the Sarah Elizabeth Lewis in Newport Pagnell district in 1847);
Marriage or marriages linking Sarah Lewis to Peter Allen; or
An alternative explanation for what happened to Sarah Lewis after 1871?

Many thanks
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire