Author Topic: John McGreevy  (Read 5432 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John McGreevy
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 September 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
Perhaps if you give details of people further forward - we can track back to see if you have the right connection.  At the moment we have no extra information to work with.  ???
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline McGreevy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 September 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

All I know for fact is that Edward McGreevy who married Margaret McKee was supposed to have had three brothers, James, Nicholas and Patrick. Edward settled in Australia in 1882 arriving on the Roma

He married Margaret McKee on 22nd January 1876 in England

He had a brother James but what I found was that the information given to me by another person had James McGreevy now John McGreevy in America around 1887. Perhaps a John McGreevy did go to America but that does make him Edward's brother.

All I wanted was to verify Edward parents and his siblings .
Edward McGreevy of County Down Ireland
 Price,  Charters Towers
Margaret McKee County Tyrone Ireland
Newlands Sydney Wales

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 September 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
We need the proper facts to work with - you asked about a John McGreevy married to a Mary Daly in 1852 New York. The information given to you is based on that.

Don't rely on other people telling you that James is now John.

We have'nt got any information to work with - all we know now is you are looking for a James McGreevy who was the brother of Edward Mc Greevy and James may have been in the USA.

When was James born and when ?

The link below shows census and some other US Records - might that help you ?

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline McGreevy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 September 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
As far I as I can tell I have been working from information that I cannot rely on,

James McGreevy would have been born around 1830 in Ireland, possibly County Down.

Sorry Sandra, will have to keep hoping that I find the right family tree. At least I found two of Edward's sons born in Durham, James and Edward.

This is the information I received that I am trying to verify that John is Edwards brother

John married 6 November 1852 in NYS to Mary Daly born 1830 Ennis Count Clare father Patrick Daly. John died 29 October 1906 and Mary 29 January 1908.  They were both buried Pine Hill Cemetery Buffalo New York.
 Price,  Charters Towers
Newlands Sydney Wales

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 September 10 15:57 BST (UK) »
If James McGreevy was born about 1830 then he is not the John Mc Greevy  that married Mary Daly - the age would be way, way out.  ???

Offline McGreevy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 September 10 16:06 BST (UK) »

I tend to agree Sandra, it is disappointing. But I will keep searching for Edward's parents.

Thank you for your help.
 Price,  Charters Towers
Newlands Sydney Wales

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 September 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
In reply 19 - you quoted the marriage of Edward and Margaret. Does the marriage certificate not give the parents names ?  ???

Offline McGreevy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 September 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
Will have to verify that on my next trip to the Archives.

Margaret's parents are Thomas McKee and Alice McCann, sorry just rechecked that.

Thanks Sandra
 Price,  Charters Towers
Newlands Sydney Wales

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 September 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
I think I see your Edward and Margaret on the 1881 UK Census in Iveston. Durham.  That would tie up with the births of James Dec 1876, Edward Dec 1878 and Thomas Dec 1880 all at Lanchester.  All those births were registered under MCGREEVEY (which is a slightly different spelling) On that Census Edward Mc GREEVY was born 1846 Ireland and Margaret 1855 Ireland.
On the passenger record Edward McGREEVEY is born 1851. On the Australian Electoral Rolls the spelling is MCGREEVEY.

There are many variants to look at with the spelling of the surname but really you need to locate a McGreevy/McGreevey family in Ireland and investigate whether Edward did have 3 brothers before we can try and locate any of them in the USA.

Regards
Sandra