Author Topic: Catherine Taylor (1891-1971)  (Read 3987 times)

Offline LilyAllenfan86

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Taylor (1891-1971)
« on: Tuesday 07 September 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about my great Grandmother Mary Catherine Nicholls (nee Taylor), according to her death registration she was born on July 18th 1891 in I believe Neath, Glamorgan, in 1905 she married my great Grandfather an Englishman named Charles Nicholls (June 1889, Newton Abbot, Devon-12th April 1966, Briton Ferry, Neath, Glamorgan), and had seven children Mary, Margaret, Richard, Annie, Jessie, Beryl and my Grandmother Gladys, for a time she lived in the Ynysmaerdy cemetery where her husband worked as a caretaker and grave digger, she died in January of 1971 at the age of eighty.
 I would love to hear from you if you have any information about her parentage as I known nothing.
 Regards Beth Catherine Price
Glamorgan-Price, Taylor, Davies, Hopkins, Thomas
Monmouthshire-Price, Jones, Jones, James
Somerset, Warren, Chivers, Taylor, Lockyer, Challenger, Sweet, Perry, Lane, Parfitt, Purnell, Allen, Nash, Bendall
Devon-Coles, Carew, Short, Nicholls, Buzzem
Cornwall-Trethewey, Best, Cundy, Brokenshire
Caernarvonshire-Jones, Hughes
Edinburgh-Dagger, Mowatt
Dublin-Ward, Connor, Nelson, Spencer, Johnson
Breconshire-Price, Meredith
Pembrokeshire-John, Gibby, Nicholas
Gloucestershire-Edwards

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Taylor (1891-1971)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
This looks quite interesting as it poses some questions. Firstly, if the dates of birth and marriage are correct as you have given them we have a 16 year old groom and a 14 year old bride. That provides a legal problem, transgression of the prevailing marriage laws.

Secondly, the 1905 marriage of a Mary Catherine Taylor is clearly to a Charles Nickels, not Nicholls. I am not relying on a transcript but the actual scan.  That marriage took place in the March quarter 1905, Neath,  vol 11a, page 1057.

More to follow.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
A Charles E Nickels died Neath 1966 age 84. That would make his year of birth as 1884 and his age in 1905 as 21.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
RG13 5056/135/14
27 Ritson Street Briton Ferry

Alvan V Taylor 52 painter at coke works b Briton Ferry Glams
Mary 48 wife b ditto
Mary C 23 dau b ditto
Thomas 21 son haulier general b ditto
Robert 19 son ditto b ditto
James 17 son ditto b ditto
Evan 15 son coker b ditto
Alvin 12 son b ditto
William 10 son b ditto
HO
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
RG12 4460/53/6
12 Regent Street West Briton Ferry

Alban Taylor 40 painter b Briton Ferry
Mary 37 wife b Baglan Glams
Mary Catherine 13 dau scholar b Briton Ferry
Thomas 12 son scholar b ditto
Robert 9 son scholar b ditto
James K 7 son scholar b ditto
Evan 6 son scholar b ditto
Alban 3 son b ditto
William Daniel 11 weeks son b ditto
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
Despite all the different spellings theres a marriage in Neath registration district

Alvan Taylor and Mary Davies
Jun qu 1877 Neath 11a 678
Looks like Mary Catherine was their first child.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Beth - have you actually seen the marriage certificate that you refer to? If you have then it will show details of the bride and groom's parents. Taylor is a common surname and Mary, Mary Catherine, Catherine  Mary are all quite common christain name.