Author Topic: Archibald HEUGH - Dunbar Shoemaker  (Read 10701 times)

Offline OchAyeTheNoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Archibald HEUGH - Dunbar Shoemaker
« on: Wednesday 08 September 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all, this is my first post, I'm not quite sure of the ettiquette and so on but here goes!

My Great Great Great Grandparents were Archibald HEUGH (1815-1862) and Ann RUSSELL (1822 - 1899).   

Marriage, Census and Death records all point to Archibald being born in Dunbar around 1815 but I can find no record of his birth anywhere in Scotland, even stretching it out to 1800-1825 on Scotland's People.

Any suggestions for finding his birth?  I read somewhere that at that time many people neglected to get their children entered in the public register, I hope that's not the case with Archibald!

Also does anyone know if there a Dunbar photo archive?  After Archibald died, Ann carried on as a Grocer and Boot Merchant in the High Street for 30+ years, I would dearly love to see a photo of the storefront or an advertisement or something of that nature.

Cheers   :)

Dunbar - Heugh
Perth - Costadasi
Clackmannan - Sinclair

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald HEUGH - Dunbar Shoemaker
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi OchAyeTheNoo, and welcome to RootsChat. :)

As you say, some parents did neglect to register some of their children and this is why they don't show in the parish registers. Other reasons can be that pages have been lost or destroyed over the years.

You have Archibald's death certificate - what were the names of his parents on this, and father's occupation?

There's some great pictures of the High Street at http://www.dunbar.org.uk/ There has also been a book released with some photographs too. I have it myself, but can't remember the title off hand.

hume

Offline OchAyeTheNoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Hume,

Thanks for your reply.  :)

Archibald's parents were John HEUGH and Janet GRAY.  On their Old Parish Record marriage entry and Archibald's death register entry John's occupation is recorded as 'Flesher'. 

I had a look at the old High Street pictures on the website you recommended, they are great!  It certainly looks like a prosperous little town in the more recent photos.

Thanks again,
OchAye
Dunbar - Heugh
Perth - Costadasi
Clackmannan - Sinclair

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Och Aye,

Welcome to the site.  Unable to help you on the birth of Archibald side.  Had a look and could see nothing.

However, in case you didn't have them, on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at the bottom left of the page under the wills etc. there is a will and an inventory for 'your' Ann.  Cost £5.00 each to view and download - via  'cart' system.  (I did a search for Heughs from 1840 to 1901).

The doc at the bottom will  be 'your ' Archibald.  I see that in the 1841 census he's a shoemaker.  Also £5.00 to download.  Good luck.  Regards,   Steve  :)

HEUGH   ANN   07/06/1900   OR RUSSELL, GROCER, &C., DUNBAR, D. 12/12/1899 AT DUNBAR, TESTATE   INVENTORY ONLY   HADDINGTON SHERIFF COURT   SC40/40/32

HEUGH   ANN   07/06/1900   OR RUSSELL, GROCER, &C., DUNBAR, D. 12/12/1899 AT DUNBAR, TESTATE   WILL   HADDINGTON SHERIFF COURT WILLS (FROM 1898)   SC40/43/2

HEUGH   ARCHIBALD   05/11/1862   BOOT AND SHOEMAKER IN DUNBAR       HADDINGTON SHERIFF COURT   SC40/40/14   

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 September 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
John HEUGH married Janet GRAY 29 August 1811, Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland
(Source Familysearch Pilot)

Only Records for Archibald are his Marriage to Ann Russel and their childrens Christenings on Familysearch Pilot.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.freereg.org.uk/

The above website has excellent coverage for Dunbar records, especially the baptisms. You'll find most of Archibald and Ann's children there.

The above Heugh/Gray marriage mentioned by Trish is also there. It confirms John as a flesher and states they married in Edinburgh (registered in both bridge and groom's parishes?).

hume :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 September 10 02:32 BST (UK) »
Excuse my manners as I forgot to say welcome to Rootschat OchAyeTheNoo :)
Excellent work hume! I always check FreeREG but not this time!

Marriage;
Archilbald HEUGH
Ann RUSSELL, 26 September 1842, Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland

Children from Familysearch Pilot all Christened Dunbar, East Lothian;
JANE Heugh, 28 December 1845
JANET Heugh, 04 June 1848
ANN Heugh, 02 June 1850
ROBERT Heugh, 19 February 1855
JAMES PATON GRAY Heugh, 28 May 1861

Cheers,
Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline OchAyeTheNoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 01:39 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks very much Hume, Piglet and Trish! 
It's great to have access to your obviously experienced brains. :)

I had no idea about Familysearch Pilot or Freereg until you guys referenced them, there was even a child there that I hadn't known about previously.

I downloaded the wills as you suggested, they make interesting reading.  Hume asked about Archibald's father's occupation which prompted me to do some digging in that area and I've ordered some Fleshers Craft material from the National Archives of Scotland so hopefully that'll hold some more info.

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.
OchAye :)
Dunbar - Heugh
Perth - Costadasi
Clackmannan - Sinclair

Offline mckeesie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, hope this will work: I represent a Dutch heritage foundation (WO2GO) who are trying to retell the story of allied airmen who did on our island during WWII.  We remember them by making information boards on the crash en writing a few books. We already had familiy and relatives coming to visit us from USA, Canada and the UK to officially unveil these boards.

On October 6th 1944 two Halifax bombers had a mid-air collision. 14 men died. One of them was Sergeant Robert Heugh.
Son of Archibald and Mary Kerr Heugh, of Dunbar, East Lothian. They never found his body. Sgt Heugh is commemorated on Panel 231 of the Runnymede Memorial.

Are you related to Sgt Robert Heugh? I sure hope so and if so,please contact me?

Kees