Author Topic: OBRIEN family Tulla County Cllare.  (Read 5875 times)

Offline annola

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OBRIEN family Tulla County Cllare.
« on: Thursday 09 September 10 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can any one help me?  My Great Grandfather William Francis Obrien was born around 1863 in Tulla district County Clare Ireland. He came to Australia around 1880's. Settled in Perth West Australia and married my Great Grandmother Anastasia Jackman in 1891. I know he had a sister named Ellen Obrien and her records say she was born 1864. Their parent where William Obrien and Jane Calleen. I don't know if all his family came with him and wether he had other brother's or sister's. I also know he worked on the Perth Railways till his death in 1912.

Thanks Annola.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: OBRIEN family Tulla County Cllare.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Full civil registration started in 1864 so you might be lucky with a birth cert for Ellen O'Brien if the birth year given was accurate. For earlier details you would need to research parish records.

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 10 08:48 BST (UK) »
Ellen is listed in IGI- www.familysearch.org- born 22 Sept.1864 Tulla district, Co. Clare (page 564 in civil register)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 08:50 BST (UK) »
the full index refs. needed to order a cert are :

Name: Ellen O'Brien
 Registration District: Tulla
 Event Type: Birth
 Year: 1864
 Volume Number: 14
 Page Number: 564

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 September 10 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane.....Thank you very much for your imformation. I have researched that web site and that is how I found out about Ellen Obrien. But William Francis Obrien her brother is proving difficult to get any more history on.

Kind regards.....Annola.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 September 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Since William was born before the start of Civil registration, you will need to check parish records to find details on him. Were the family Catholic ?

Unfortunately most parish records for Co. Clare are not available online at the moment, but it might be worth checking the Clare Library website for other details on the family.

see : Clare resources & links 

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 September 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
Annola,

If you search the 1901 census for Clare using the criteria “Tulla and O'Brien” you'll find there are only 5 shown. 3 unmarried siblings living at house 58, a single person at 57.1 and a single O’B visitor at house 78. The single person in house 57.1 – Mary O’B was born in Galway, the others in Clare.

So there’s no sign of Wm O’B and his wife Jane, nor of Ellen (though she’d likely be married by 1901 and so may not be called O’B any more). So Wm & Jane are either dead or moved out of Tulla.

With such a small number of O’B entries you might be tempted to research them a bit eg look for birth certs, to see if there is any connection with Wm, & Jane. (It seems a possibility).

The 1911 census shows only 11 O’B entries in Tulla, so again a manageable number.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline annola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 September 10 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
 Many thanks again, I will have a look at the Clare Library site.
Kind regards...Annola.

Offline annola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 September 10 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,
Thank you very much for all your imformation. I will follow your suggestions as I have looked on the Census for Tulla and wondered if there was any links with my William with the Obriens their. I have gone to my main Library here in Perth Western Australia and was able to look and get a copy of his Probate Title which had his death certificate included which gave me his mum and dads name and also told me his dad or could have been both parents where Hotel Proprietor's. But I don't know if it meant here in West Australia or in Tulla Ireland.
Kind regards.....Annola.