Author Topic: Robert Dewar born approx 1801 Berwick upon Tweed - please help me find his birth  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dewar born approx 1801 Berwick upon Tweed - please help me find his birth
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 October 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Richard Dewar born 15th Jan 1850, christened  30 th September 1861,St George East ,address given 13 Splidts Terrace fathers occupation Labourer,

Elizabeth Ester born 23rd June 1852,christened the same day,

St Saviours  and Cross mission,St Georges East,Tower Hamlets

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dewar born approx 1801 Berwick upon Tweed - please help me find his birth
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 October 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
This one is a bit confusing

Elizabeth Catherine,
Robert John,
Splits Terrace ,father Robert a gunmaker, mother Sarah,
May the 7th 1865
the same mission church as the children of Bathsheba and Robert
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 October 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
This is very kind of you... things are beginning to take a bit of shape.    I presume that Robert (born B-u-Tweed) worked in the London Docks (Mariner), which would explain why he came down to London.   Must have been desperate for work.

Hmmm.... yes, a bit of a mystery about Elizabeth Catherine and Robert and their father Robert the gunmaker and mother Sarah.  I don't have them on my list at all, but possibly because I haven't done much work on this lot, but Splits Terrace means that chances are they are relatives. .  Very interesting about where Elizabeth and Richard were christened, I have looked on the net, and it appears that the area St Saviours Mission served was extremely poor (slums from what I have read about the area previously).   

It says written by the founder  .... Wellclose Square, in which our Mission House was situated, is a large open square forming the meeting point of the three parishes of St George's, St Mary's Whitechapel, and St John's Wapping... The poverty of the place was very great.... In the midst of scenes of sin and misery the children were brought up, the school of too many the streets, abounding in temptation, echoing with profane and disgusting language, and forming a very atmosphere of vice.... The parish had very few redeeming features; scarcely any residents of education and respectability to foster a better spirit....                      

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 October 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Well so sory I cant prove or disprove where your Robert came from ,but food for thought on where he lived and brought his children up,
good luck with the rest of your research ,let us know how you get on,
Gillian

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 October 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Just one thing..... when I came to type up the info you have given me

Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 11:18 BST (UK) »   
~~~~~~~~
The Robert Dewar I found has the parents Peter and Jane also May 1804 Berwick,
The witness at Roberts marrriage were John Dewar and Esther Nash

and then ..........
Robert Dewar was married by Banns
22nd August 1831,
Parish St Leonards Shoreditch,
Borough of Hackney,
in the County of Surrey,
By me Walter Kelly Curate,

both could write their own names,
as did the witnesses ,

Esther Nash and John Nash,

I am a bit confused........ was the witness John Dewar or John Nash please?   I hope it is John Dewar... make the research more interesting!

And I shall def. let you know how I get on, but you know at this distance it's more difficult because B-un-T is so remote and unfamiliar so it may take me ages and ages.

Kind regards, Caroline

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 October 10 04:29 BST (UK) »
John Nash