Author Topic: Robert Dewar born approx 1801 Berwick upon Tweed - please help me find his birth  (Read 5689 times)

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dewar born approx 1801 Berwick upon Tweed - please help me find his birth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
And by any chance any other Dewars mentioned on your source?
Thanks

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dewar born approx 1801 Berwick upon Tweed - please help me find his birth
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
Robert Dewar was married by Banns
22nd August 1831,
Parish St Leonards Shoreditch,
Borough of Hackney,
in the County of Surrey,
By me Walter Kelly Curate,

both could write their own names,
as did the witnesses ,

Esther Nash and John Nash,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Ann Nash, christened 17th March 1805 ,Child of George and Margaret Nash, St Giles Cripplegate ,

Married James Dewar by banns 9th July 1826,witness names hard to read but one looks like Benjamin Teage,

St Matthews ,
Bethnal Green,
Tower Hamlets,
Middlesex,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot!  That's great .....  every little bit helps.
Regards, Caroline

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
Does this help,

Bathsheba Isabella Dewar,christened the 15th Feb 1846,child of Bathsheba and Robert Dewar,occupation  Mariner
Lived Back Church Lane,
White Chapel,St Mary,Tower Hamlets,

John James Dewar,christened the 23rd of October 1836,child of Bathsheba and Robert a mariner, living in Whitechapel,
Church St Leanords Shoreditch,Hackney

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, it gives me more real facts... thanks a lot.  The only real info I have is that available on the various census, and then stuff about James William's son's family from about 1900 onwards when James William's son went to S. Africa.

I knew the following children existed and their rough births from the Census ..

John James   DEWAR      1836
Robert      DEWAR      1840
James William   DEWAR      1844 (my g.g. grandfather)
Bathsheba Isabella   DEWAR      1846
George      DEWAR      1848
Richard      DEWAR      1850
Elizabeth      DEWAR      1853

but I had no idea their father was a Mariner!  All the boys with the poss. exception of the oldest went into printing one way or another.
Regards, Caroline

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
I cant find the family in 1851 census ,where are they hiding, ???

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 October 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
I don't have a sub to Ancestry but looked up a couple of things at the Church of LDS here in Johannesburg.  I also had trouble finding Robert and Bathsheba in 1841, but found her as you can see, but not him.

Robert
1841 census      ??
Not with his wife but I have a note that says he may be on Ancestry.com as Deamer (staying somewhere else on the night?) but haven't been able to find him subsequently.

1851 census
on Ancestry.com
as DREWER
1 Thomas St
St Georges East
Tower Hamlets
Labourer
b.est 1801
Berwick on Tweed
Scotland

1861 census
13 Splidts Terrace
as per Census page says  other wise known as Pleasant Row
St Georges East
Tower Hamlets
Labourer (general)
b.est 1801
Berwick   

Surname is
BEVER on Ancestry.com
1871 census
13 Splidts Terrace
St Georges East
Tower Hamlets
Laundryman
Berwick on Tweed
Scotland

died 1880
aged 79

Bathsheba
========
1841 census

30 (rounded)
189 Ratcliffe Highway (what I understand to have been a slum area?)
Tower Hamlets
St Georges East
Still there 1844 (because son says in 1871 b.Ratcliff)
Independent
Yes

I presume it says Independent because she is a housewife - she already had two children.

She is with her husband until she dies in Mar Q 1875 in Poplar aged 63.

And this is all I know about this generation so you can see why I want to find out a bit more.  It seems ridiculous to have a brick wall at year 1800!

Kind regards, Caroline

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 October 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
1841 ,might be he was away at sea ,and he supported her financially,
I cant think what they called it.posibly allotment money ,so money would be sent to her by the shipping company he worked for ,if he was at sea,