Author Topic: jessie reid  (Read 13645 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: jessie reid
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 18 September 10 17:45 BST (UK) »
Ann, this is the main link to Quarriers www.quarriers.org.uk. There will be contact details there for enquiries (I think there is a £25 last time I heard for copies of reports etc, if there are records to be found).

What makes you think that William was in a home between 1878-81, and in particular, why Quarriers?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ann60

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 18 September 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
thanks for link  it might be a long shot but  if jessie his mother died when he was 2 months old and it was just his father to look after him  he might not have wanted willaim  so he might have been rehomed in aberdour aberdeeenshire. just a thought
london  larbert new aberdour aberdeebshire DUNCAN

fiddler crimond ellon rosehearty

birnie pitsligo rosehearty

Offline ann60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
hi everyone
 i was at the poor records again yesterday and found out a lot more about jessie family
 she had a brother born 1850 called hugh  in 1881 loving with his family in london  he was a cabinet maker his wife came from  scotland to and called jessie  hugh died in london in 1901
 ann reid a sister worked in london in 1881  she was working with jessie in 1871 in elgin then moved the family she was working for were called anderson head john  they came from scotland   and a brother willaim born 1859 elgin to he was blind and   was in blind assylum in london   jessie moved to london to work to she must have met george duncan and moved to larbert   between 1877 george was working for railway  jessie was expecting my grandfather  she took ill and died  when my grandfather was 2 months old     willaim was boarded out  and that is all i can find out

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
You have managed to find out so, so much about Jessie. It is quite remarkable what the poor relief records have let you find out and confirm  :)

You then pick up on your grandfather William boarding with the Wood family in Aberdeenshire, and from the other post you have, have been able to find quite a clear trail to potential father George Duncan, also living in Aberdour at the time of of the 1881 census. You have been able to confirm that this George Duncan's sister married into the Wood family, where William is boarding in 1881. You also know that George Duncan, although married early 1870s, seems to have parted from wife after the birth of their daughter, also in the early 1870s, and have them living separately from this point to his death in the 1890s.

Not sure how much more info there is to be found now Ann. After your years of searches, it all seems to have snowballed in the last few weeks or so, with lots of new info for you.

Monica  :)

Offline ann60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
i am now wondering if the george duncan living in aberdour  aberdeenshire is my great grandfather as  why would he be in london or larbert in 1877  and gone from a shoemaker to a ironwork labourer  back to a shoemaker in aberdour  also did  jessie meet a george duncan in london as the poor records say jessie was living with a man in larbert who was working in the railway service

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Ann, I am not sure that you will reach as strong a conclusion with George Duncan as  you have with Jessie Reid  :-\

As mentioned in the long post on him elsewhere, and I referred to in my last post, the only link you have so far is potentially that a daughter in law, in the Wood household where your grandfather looks to have been boarding in 1881, was a Duncan with the brother George who has been discussed often.

Monica

Offline ann60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
 i know what you are saying but there is something that does not fit
  1 why would george duncan in aberdour be in london
 2 why would george and jessie be in larbert
 3 why  would george be working as a iron work  labourer and not a shoemaker