Author Topic: Shelton late 1700s  (Read 10552 times)

Offline Annieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Shelton late 1700s
« on: Saturday 11 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got any info on William Shelton born around 1795 married to an Elizabeth from 1841/51 censuses. The area is Great Stukely but his son James was born in Offord D'Arcy about 1817. There are several Sheltons such as John and Joseph, but I am not sure how they link. 1851 census shows him infirm on parish relief. The eldest child was baptised in 1814 at Offord D'Arcy.

Many thanks Anne
Fairfax, Swarby, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire: Ellis in Swineshead, Kirton Lincolnshire: Straw and Higdon in Lincolnshire: Fincham in Norfolk, Suffolk, later London: Heygate in Essex and London: Mackmurdo, Essex and London: Cerf in Jamaica, Potsdam, Middlesex, Belgium. Dapre in London and Austria, Italy.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shelton late 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
The only William/Elizabeth marriage in Hunts around that time was in Offord Darcy in 1810, William Shelton & Elizabeth Bruce. A birth date of c1795 seems a bit late

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Annieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks David and I think that must be the marriage I am looking for as the date fits. I can see what you mean re the birthdate and I should have typed 10 years earlier. It was a guess but an aberration too! They had their 6 children christened from 1814-1826 according to the IGI which is how I got the name William. I am waiting for the marriage certificate of their son James so I can proceed and confirm.
Many thanks for your time and trouble.
Anne
Fairfax, Swarby, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire: Ellis in Swineshead, Kirton Lincolnshire: Straw and Higdon in Lincolnshire: Fincham in Norfolk, Suffolk, later London: Heygate in Essex and London: Mackmurdo, Essex and London: Cerf in Jamaica, Potsdam, Middlesex, Belgium. Dapre in London and Austria, Italy.

Offline Annieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 September 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Does that mean you have some Offord Darcy records?

I have just had a request for a marriage certificate for James Shelton born circa 1817 in Offord Darcy turned down and refunded. According to 1841+ censuses he is married to a Catherine. I asked for the certificate for marriage to Catherine Revel in 1838 Sep qtr 14 271. Any chance you can enlighten me please as I believe he is a son of the previously mentioned William Shelton and Elizabeth Bruce that you say married in 1810. FindMyPast don't have them, as not much yet put there on Huntingdon. Nothing with British Origins.
Thanks Anne

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Only what's on Hunts Marriage Index up to 1837 and the NBI for burials up to 1900. No baptisms though.

Catherine Revell was my 3xg great aunt, but I don't have the marriage cert to James Shelton (I didn't even realise I already had James in my tree!). She was from Graveley, Cambs, but they didn't marry there. I haven't done any research on her after her marriage, but know a fair bit about her background. Let me know if you're interested in her

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
The Camdex site at http://www2.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/db/ridmars.nsf/search?OpenForm shows the marriage between Catherine Revel and James Shelton in 1838 in Huntingdon registration district. It might be quicker to order the certificate online from them.

David

Offline Annieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

James and Catherine are my husband's great grandparents, so he would be very pleased for any information you could share. He was never even told his Grandad Tom was from Huntingdonshire! I rechecked the email and refund amount and I had mis-read it, so should have that certificate tomorrow.

Thanks again  Anne

Offline Rivercanada

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone got any info on William Shelton born around 1795 married to an Elizabeth from 1841/51 censuses. The area is Great Stukely but his son James was born in Offord D'Arcy about 1817. There are several Sheltons such as John and Joseph, but I am not sure how they link. 1851 census shows him infirm on parish relief. The eldest child was baptised in 1814 at Offord D'Arcy.

Many thanks Anne

Hello Annieh
I am a Shelton and have done a few  years of research into my tree. A good many of my Shelton ancestors are from Great Stukeley. In fact the graveyard in the St. Bartholomews graveyard is full of my great to 3x great grandparents. I have a few Williams on my tree but not around the date you mentioned. If you have traced your William to Great Stukeley I would be very interested in comparing trees with you.

Richard

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

Apologies. I missed your post of 17 Sept - I had visitors at the time.

Anyway, I've just run off a report on Catherine Revell's ancestors, but it's too big to post in a message. Could you send me a personal message with your email address and I'll attach it to an email to you.

Did the marriage certificate ever turn up?

David