Author Topic: aldershot barracks 1861  (Read 3710 times)

Offline gmoneill01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
aldershot barracks 1861
« on: Saturday 11 September 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have a marriage cert of Luke Eyers married in 1868 in Kildare Ireland. Occupation, pensioned from the army. The only Luke Ayre I can find born in Ireland is on England 1861 census and based at Aldershot, 1st batt, 10th infantry regiment. I know his father was William (deceased by 1868) and a shoemaker.  Any ideas on how to verify or discount if this is my Luke Ayers/Eyers/Ayre.

Thanks all for any help

Ger

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: aldershot barracks 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
I have found this record on familysearch.org for a marriage in Kildare. Is this your man and his wife?
You could try searching for his birth on here if you have his dob. Try advanced search option if nothing comes up 1st time.

Note the spelling is Ayrs on this record.

marriage: 20 Sep 1868 —Carbury, Kildare, Ireland
parents: William Ayrs
spouse: Bridget Gill

record title: Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898
groom's name: Luke Ayrs
bride's name: Bridget Gill
marriage date: 20 Sep 1868
marriage place: Carbury, Kildare, Ireland
groom's father's name: William Ayrs
bride's father's name: Thomas Gill

Do you have his dob at all?

Calmar
 :)
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Brown, Limerick
Woodruff, Glossop, Dover Kent, Sheffield
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Gledhill, Halifax and Sheffield
Wright, Derbyshire/Sheffield
Swift, Lincolnshire, Sheffield
Poole, Stoke Edith, Hereford
Cowham, Lincolnshire and Sheffield
Ibbotson, Sheffield

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
hi,,was he born c 1828 ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gmoneill01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies folks,

I have the actual marriage cert for Luke and Bridget and these are definitely the right people. Luke's residence at time of marriage was Bow Lane in Dublin and Bridgets was Ticknevin, Kilpatrick, Carbury, Kildare. Not sure if Luke was born in Dublin but had children in Carbury, Kildare (Mary ann 1869, James 1871, Thomas 1873 and Brigid my grandmother in 1875).

His year of birth, if this is my Luke, according to the 1861 England Census in Aldershot barracks, would be c.1828.

I also found a death cert (1883) for a Luke Eyres of 4 Carmans Hall, Dublin who was 45 at time of death which would make his year of birth c.1838. Why I thought this may have a chance of being connected is that in the Dublin 1901 census there is a James ayres born in Kildare born c.1871 who lived in 3.3 Carmans Hall, Dublin. (tenemant buildings) and maybe this was his son and they were living beside each other. It would be much easier if the spelling of the names were consistent.  Even on the marriage cert the name is spelled two different ways!!! Just to make it hard on all of us  :)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 September 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,,The man in the 1861 census could wel be your man,,,,there is a 4 page service/pension record of this man

Luke Ayers born 1828 in Longford,,he attested for the 2nd battalion 12 foot in 1861,,but had previous service of 15 years in the 1st battalion 10th foot.
his number was 1068,,he was awarded the Punjab medal...he had served for many years in India,,,he was discharged on the 21st July 1868,intending to reside in Dublin.
So he could have married just after leaving the army. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gmoneill01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 September 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Yep... this is my man ;D  I accessed the records you mentioned today on the national archives and have loads of information.  Thanks very much. Really appreciate you taking the time and trouble

Ger