Author Topic: Stephen & Antoinette FRIER  (Read 5398 times)

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephen & Antoinette FRIER
« on: Saturday 11 September 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
I've found Stephen FRIER (b. 1790) married to Antoinette (b.1802 in Paris) in the censuses, but I can't find any record of their marriage. He was born in Barrow-on-Soar in Leics, and lived most of his life in Grimston, Leics, but I cannot trace Antoinette.  Any one help?

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen & Antoinette FRIER
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is also a Stephen Frier & Antoinette who baptised 3 children at Tipton Staffordshire between 1825 & 1828 but could not find a marriage there.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 September 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Yes - these are the same ones I'm looking for and it's my Gx3 Great grandfather - Henry Frier - who was one of those christened in Tipton.  I wonder whether they married in Paris?

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello!  Any idea what his occupation was?   Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 September 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no.

I could not find their marriage anywhere.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 September 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has him as an ag lab, the 51 census as a pensioner and fishmonger, & the 61 census as a chelsea pensioner and haberdasher.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 September 10 23:47 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism on the new pilot site (pilot.familysearch.org) for Thomas, son of Stephen and Anoinette Friar in Lutterworth, Leicestershire on 03 April 1822.    Doesn't mean it is your couple, but possible?   Names were often spelled differently according to who was doing the writing - they just wrote it as they heard it, and assumed it was correct. Have you searched alternative spellings?   

The other thing I'm wondering, and I don't want to quibble, is that I thought Chelsea Pensioners had to have had a career in the Army or Navy?   Are you sure your entry in 1861 is the same man?
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 September 10 08:46 BST (UK) »
This was during the reign of George 3rd ...I`m sure he had soldiers fighting all over the world...so Stephen Frier could quite easily have been a soldier from 16 to 30...and possibly met Antoinette in France or even Belgium....battle of Waterloo was in 1815 in Belgium...and English soldiers must have taken over France a little later and stayed for a few years...she could have been a 14/15 yr old - it was an acceptable age for marriage then....he could have came out of the army and went to work on a farm with his new `child bride` ...allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 September 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks allan, good to have the background correct.   I'd seen the occupations in the '41 and '51 without registering that Stephen would have had quite a working life prior to that.

Added:  Based on your comment, I just looked at the Waterloo medal list, and there is a listing for a Stephn Freer
The listing says:
Private. 
2nd Battalion 95th Regiment of Foot.
Captain G. Miller's Company.

Does anyone know how one could search the records of the Royal Hospital at Chelsea to see if TKEJ's Stephen Frier could be the same gentleman?

That's the first time I've looked at the Waterloo Medal rolls, because I've never had any ancestors who might have taken part.    If it is him, what an ancestor to have, with the possibility of service in the Peninsular War, or even America.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland