Author Topic: Taylors in Isleham and Soham  (Read 7231 times)

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Taylors in Isleham and Soham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 September 10 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,
I need a second opinion.

If you check for Thomas PLEASANCE Marriages 1855-1871 there are these;
Dec 1858, Stow, 4a 1131
1 female spouse missing
December 1863, Newmarket, 3b 1260
Only Susan Rust on page
But if you do the same for Phoebe Munns this comes up;
December 1863, Newmarket, 3b 1210

Hi John

The original entries are handwritten and not easy to read.  Phoebe's could be Page 1260.  Also if you search on

December 1863, Newmarket, 3b 1210

you only get Phoebe Munns

Linda

PS Well done trish1120 - someone else hooked by this family  :D
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 September 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda ;D
Something strange is going on there too.
But it is too late here to search anymore.
Thomas may have been married twice. First daughter Eliza, aged 11 in 1871, is the clincher.
Esp. as we now think Thomas and Phoebe didnt Marry til 1863.
If they married 1858 as a couple of Family Trees have they should appear with Eliza in 1861 Census but I cant find it.
I think I have him with another Wife and daughter Eliza a little older in 1861.

Back tomorrow night.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 September 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
Ignore what I said about earlier Marriage, brain not working,
Good night :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Moonraker55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 September 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish and Linda

I am very grateful for your swift and thorough response and you have signposted a couple more queries that I hope to solve. In the meantime I have just received the 76 page report from Queensland and it has a real wealth of information in it - including details of Thomas Munns' second marriage to Harriet Frost which occurred at St Andrews' Church in Soham on 12 Sep 1847. There were five children to this marriage but only two survived infancy, including the Martha Mary that I was seeking. She was the second of that name the first died at about two months of age in 1849.

The handwritten GRO index does say 1260 it was mistranscribed, I enhanced it and then searched on the same index reference and came up with Thomas Pleasance. So we know they were married in 1863 in Q4 but there's is one of the few marriages that I have no record of in the parish register details that have been sent to me.

I am intrigued about Linda's postscript to Trish - how many people are there looking for this family? I now have solved the links with all the Taylors and Normans in Brixton and have them all arising from families in Soham and Isleham.   I am happy to share what information that I have, but I am conscious that much of the stuff relating to the Munns family is in fact the work of someone else and so I shall not be publicly broadcasting the contents except to do look-ups if needed.

Back to 1891 in Bartley Street: Rutter Norman is the nephew of James Taylors' step-father William Norman - is that a step-cousin? William Taylor in 35 is James's brother; James is married to Martha Mary Munns and their eldest son William (who occupies 33 Bartley Street by 1906) is the father of Stanley William Taylor. I have the baptismal, marriage and other documentation for a large number of these people and the previous generations. Martha Mary signs with a mark the death certificate as informant and aunt of the deceased for my great-aunt Ellen Maud who stayed with Martha and James from 1905 and where she died of TB in 1906.

It is all fascinating stuff and it is a shame that Bartley Street no longer exists because I would liked to have obtained photographs of these houses together. I might ask the good folk of the Minet Library in Brixton if they have anything in their archive.

This is really important to me also because Brixton Hill was where my Cambridgeshire and Wiltshire families got together - without Brixton Hill I would not be here! My parents moved us to the area in 1956 and I have a large number of early memories from around the district, including my first school. My uncle was a postman from the late 40s until the 70s operating out of the sorting office that was close to the end of Bartley Street and covering a beat of Brixton Hill and Tulse Hill. My great grandfather, besides marrying at St Saviours from 39 Bartley Street, first came to London from Wiltshire as a drover with a herd of cattle for Smithfield. He got a job with the wonderfully named Balls brothers Omnibus company as the 'cock horse' man for the buses on Brixton Hill ( he had the spare or cock horse to hitch to the two already hitched to the bus to get them up Brixton Hill), the remnants of their livery stable is still visible; he later became a roundsman with a milk delivery company and that, according to family lore, is where he met Lucy Pleasance who was in service in a house in St saviours Road (adjacent to Bartley Street). So, if I can help anyone with all this then I shall, in the meantime, thanks very much for the efforts that you have gone to.

Regards
John
Orchard - Wiltshire, London, Surrey
Archard - Wiltshire
Pleasance - Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey
Fletcher - Middlesex, Warwickshire, Surrey
Morgan - Monmouthsire, Gwent, Illinois
Taylor - Essex, Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:26 BST (UK) »

PS Well done trish1120 - someone else hooked by this family

I am intrigued about Linda's postscript to Trish - how many people are there looking for this family?

I should have phrased this better  :D  I can't speak for Trish, but I have no interest in this family except as a challenge.  It's one of those where you start pulling at a thread and all sorts of things come with it - great fun!

Glad to have helped   :D

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 September 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
I am in the same Boat as Linda. I am not related at all to this family but that is what Rootschat is about- going the extra mile to try and help others .
The best thing about all this that anyone searching in the future for info on any of these lines will find this, join Rootschat and contact you.
I found all the background you gave to your ancestors really fascinating and obviously dear to your heart.

Best of luck in the future,
Trish :)

Offline Moonraker55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 September 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish
Orchard - Wiltshire, London, Surrey
Archard - Wiltshire
Pleasance - Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey
Fletcher - Middlesex, Warwickshire, Surrey
Morgan - Monmouthsire, Gwent, Illinois
Taylor - Essex, Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 March 12 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I have not digested all the references above but..
Thomas MUNNS m Ann HORSLEY 23 Oct 1818 (with consent of parents)
Bapt: 31 Oct 1819 Eliza
13 Jun 1823 Robert, bur 18 Feb 1825
10 May 1827 Robert
17 Apr 1834 James, bur 1 Oct 1834
28 Feb 1836 Sophy
10 Jun 1838 Phebe
Burial 4 Feb 1842 Ann MUNNS

Thomas MUNNS wdwr m Harriet FROST sp, 12 Sep 1847
Bapt: 18 Jul 1849 Martha Mary, privately baptised
9 Sep 1849 Martha Mary - both were dau of Thomas and Harriet, was there a public baptism too?
Burial 23 Sep 1849 Martha Mary, infant
23 Jan 1850 William MUNNS, Infant (related?)

Phebe/Phoebe MUNNS bapt  1838 m Thomas PLEASANCE in 1863, don't know where but not in Soham, though both were born there.

Pembrokeshire - Brown, Rees, Thomas, James, Nedahl, Noot
Somerset - Brown, Parfitt, Daniell, Wheeler, Clissold, Indoe
Wiltshire - Collins