Author Topic: Metropolitan Police  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Metropolitan Police
« on: Monday 13 September 10 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for help to try to locate my ancestor Christopher Fletcher Brumfield 1837 – 1915 police service record. He was a Police Inspector at Ruislip Police Station. This shows up on the 1881 census.
Now for me to find his record I need his warrant number. This can normally be obtained from the index of joiners at the National Archive. Unfortunately the records from 1854 to 1876 are missing. The leaving register starts too late at 1890.
Now as he was the Station Inspector I would guess he would have had to sign reports and returns to send to New Scotland Yard. But what those documents would be I have no idea.
If someone with a knowledge of the internal working of the  Metropolitan Police in the 19th Century may be able to throw up some suggestions at what else I may be able to look for.
Robert
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

The National Archives leaflet on Metropolitan police service records details the different records available and the links to some of them on 'Your Archives'? e.g.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=104

Attestation Ledgers
Ledgers for warrant numbers 51491-146379, February 1869 - May 1958 (MEPO 4/352-360) give signatures of the recruit and witness. Photographs of these documents can be downloaded from the Your Archives section of The National Archives website. Please note that the contents of Your Archives is contributed by users.

Link in the guide given to Your Archives

'Police Orders for the period 1829-1989 (MEPO 7) contain notification of personnel matters arranged annually. They are closed for fifty years. Details of officers pensioned, promoted, dismissed and transferred have been indexed for some of these volumes and are in (MEPO 7/156-164) . An alphabetical index of officers who joined between 1880 and 1889, compiled from the Police Orders of those years (MEPO 7/42-51) , is available at The National Archives. Each entry consists of surname with at least one forename, warrant number, date of joining and (where applicable) date of leaving.'

Police Orders database

http://www.policeorders.co.uk/

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi a BIG thank you for the information particularly the link to policeorders.co.uk as the quick search pulled up a positive and as Brumfield is such and unusual name being a corruption of Broomfield if looks good just have to wait.
I spent some time in the NA at Kew with the staff there saying that unless I can find the Warrent number we can't find other records.
I think I will wait until I get a reply to my email request before booking another trip to Kew.
Thanks again it's given me something positive to work on.
Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,386714.0.html

Dawn
Thanks Dawn, we did have a look at the Register of Leavers at the National Archive. What surprised me was that they are on the 'net the staff seemed to think that only the original was available as they were not on microfilm.
Unfortunately he is not there but as the indexing have picked him up on policeorders.co.uk will just wait to see what they come up with.
Robert..
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics