Author Topic: No Burial Register  (Read 9104 times)

Offline Bellarosa70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No Burial Register
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 December 14 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Greenbank Church Donegal.
I think there are burial records kept there, as someone checked for me and told me I had the wrong family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 December 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
What church? Presbyterian? Church of Ireland?

If the details you have came from burial records then it's extremely unlikely that a woman would be listed under her maiden rather than married name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bellarosa70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 December 14 10:56 GMT (UK) »
the information I have is Cemetary/Burial ground.
Greenbank church. Donegal.
They were a Presbyterian family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 December 14 11:02 GMT (UK) »
You still are not answering my question as to what church this is. Do you mean Greenbank Presbyterian Church or the local Church of Ireland one?

Where EXACTLY did you get the information from?

Offline Bellarosa70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 December 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Greenbank Presbyterian church.
The search came up with Greenbank County Donegal Graveyards.
I scrolled down to the B's and Found four Burnetts.
Martha was there but buried under the name of Burnett, her maiden name, not her married name of Foster. I assumed this was my Grandmother as the three other names fitted.
She was born in 1855 I believe and died in Londonderry in 1924-26. The N. Ireland records office
could find no record of her death. They suggested I try Donegal, where she was born as she may have died there.
No record of her death there either. And I know she didn't die abroad.
I then emailed info [-- at --] kabristan.org.uk. and they told me Martha Burnett nee Foster was not my relative in that particular (I am assuming it was a grave) but I don't know.
The whole family I have found under the B's all came from Drung (Redcastle) Donegal.
I realise I was probably clutching at straws, as there were probably many different churches, there
and it was just a co-incidence that the four I found there were my relatives.
But I am sure you are right, that it is very unusual for a woman to be buried under her Maiden name.
Thank you for trying for me anyway. 

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 December 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Right- think you've gotten yourself into a bit of a muddle and have been given incorrect or confusing information when you tried to get more details.

Firstly there are different types of records-
1) gravestone inscriptions (not always accurate as can often be erected years after an event, may not include all burials in that particular plot)
2) burial records (cemetery records or church burial register/records). What you probably don't know is that most Presbyterian churches that have burying ground did not keep records of burials and also that Presbyterians were at one time entitled to burial in the Church of Ireland graveyards. This was because everyone had to pay tithes to the Established (Church of Ireland) church.

I found this, which is the source you've now given-
http://kabristan.org.uk/kabristan-indexes/ireland-indexes/53-ireland-county-donegal-graveyards-part-i-vii/750-county-donegal-graveyards-b
At the very top is says: Copies of full memorial inscriptions are available for £4.00 including postage. To order please use our order form. Please email * if you have any questions or require more information.
This means that the details in this list are from a gravestone NOT burial records.
If you go down to the Burnet listings it says Greenbank Church County Donegal Ireland which doesn't actually tell you the NAME of the church.
All this tells you is that there is a headstone with these names (or headstones- no way to tell is ALL the names appear on one stone together).

Assuming, and only as an assumption for illustative purposes, that all the names are on one stone it could read something like this- Andrew Burnett died 1870 his wife Kathleen died 1871 their daughter Martha J. died 1888 and her son Robert died 1888. Therefore Martha J. has been indexed under Burnett, as had her son, but she could have been married. Without seeming the actual wording there is no way to know what the names, relationships, etc. are.

I then emailed * and they told me Martha Burnett nee Foster was not my relative in that particular (I am assuming it was a grave) but I don't know.
Your relative would have been Martha Foster nee Burnett.

If you give me a few minutes I'm going to see if I can find Martha's death registration for you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 December 14 14:18 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 December 14 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Following through with the above Foster family-
Foster James Wilson of 11 Bishop Street Londonderry gentleman died 26 February 1956 Probate Londonderry 8 June to George Burnett Foster sergeant Royal Ulster constabulary and Andrew Foster costing clerk. Effects £4186 7s. 11d.

Which leads to this entry- died 1920 NOT 1924-5:
Probate of the Will of Martha Foster late of 11 Bishop Street in the County of the City of Londonderry Married Woman who died 27 May 1920 granted at Londonderry to James Burnett Joiner and Matthew W. Foster Farmer Effects £285

Offline Bellarosa70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 December 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
So she DID die in Londonderry.
I wonder why they told me she hadn't. The recrods based in Belfast said they had searched all dates from 1914 to 1956 to when James Wilson foster (her husband) died.
Can I find her will anywhere?
I want to thank you for all the information you have given me. This was puzzling me that I couldn't find
anything for her.
Regards