Author Topic: Robert Roberts of Bangor  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Beatle

• RootsChat Member
  • Dey do dough do dee?
    • View Profile
Robert Roberts of Bangor
« on: Monday 13 September 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Jane Roberts married John Hugh Jones at Bangor Cathedral 4 Feb 1853. She was 22. (b c.1831)
Now trying to trace anyone in Wales with surnames like Jones and Roberts with any certainty is nigh on impossible. There are several potential families in the 1851 census but trying to narrow the search down is proving difficult.
I know Jane's father was Robert and he was a gardener. The only Robert that that fits has a daughter Jane of 12. It could be 12 is an error but I'm doubtful. And a gardener could be a labourer in the census.
So my plan is this: I wonder if there are any other Roberts marriages at Bangor Cathedral around 1853 (give or take 5 years) that has Robert (Gardener) as the father.

So I'm wondering if anyone has access to the marriage register and could check for me. There doesnt seem to be anything online.

Beatle
Jones/Bangor / Liverpool
Hopley Cliffe Williams Vernon Done / Cheshire
Hill Mounsey Haugh / Cumberland
Postlethwaite Witter / Liverpool

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Roberts of Bangor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate,is there an address where they lived?
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
As you say there are quite a few to choose from.Do you have any more information,children of Jane and John etc, who might be with grandparents on a census.
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Beatle

In 1841 Glenrafon Bangor there is this family:
ref HO107/Piece 1398/Folio51/Page24
Robert Roberts, 40, labourer
Lettice, 30
Jane, 10
Catherine, 8
Mary, 6
Ellin, 11 months
all born in county

Robert Roberts m Lettice Thomas Dec 16, 1825 at Bangor

I haven't been able to locate this family in Bangor 1851.  I would think the three girls could all be away from home in service by 1851 in any case.  There is a death of a Lettice Roberts at Conway reg in Mar 1846 on free BMD but this may be completely unrelated.

As you have identified, there is a Robert Roberts, gardener age 57? in 1851 with wife Emma from Denbighshire but their Jane is aged 2 in 1841.    Do any  of this Jane's siblings match up with witness names from the marriage certificate? 

As far as I know the 1850s marriage registers are only accessible at Caernarfon Record Office archives.

HTH
Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beatle

• RootsChat Member
  • Dey do dough do dee?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, here's so more background

They were both living at Dean Street, where John worked as a apprentice tailor to Morris Williams (who was also a witness). The other witness was James Hughes which I reckon to be a church clerk living in the High Street. The marriage is by certificate also. All subsequent cenuses stae she was born in Wales  :-\

My thinking was maybe I could browse through the father's name and occupation in the register to see if anyone else was married. Then hopefuly with a list I could verify against the 1851 census.
Jones/Bangor / Liverpool
Hopley Cliffe Williams Vernon Done / Cheshire
Hill Mounsey Haugh / Cumberland
Postlethwaite Witter / Liverpool