Author Topic: McLaughlin Family Coleraine  (Read 14840 times)

Offline franmclaugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLaughlin Family Coleraine
« on: Sunday 12 September 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for some information on the McLaughlin's in Coleraine. I have been doing some reasearch but I have hit a brick wall, if anyone has any information I would be grateful if you could forward it on to me.
My father is Patrick McLaughlin, his father Vincent George McLaughlin was born in Coleraine in 1906, in Waterside, he was one of 14 children, there was
James E McLaughlin born in 1889
Jane McLaughlin born in 1894
Thomas McLaughlin born in 1890
Daniel Aloysious McLaughlin born in 1892 (I believe Dan changed the spelling of his name to MacLaughlin as he got older).
Henry P McLaughlin born in 1893
Monica McLaughlin born 23/06/1895 ( I know Monica became a nun, in Loretto Convent and was known Mother Gabriel).
Edmund McLaughlin born in 1897
Leo Albert or Albert Leo McLaughlin born in 1899
Gerald McLaughlin born in 1900/1901
Winifred McLaughlin born in 1898
Patrica McLaughlin born in 1903
Veronica McLaughlin born in 1905
Rosemary McLaughlin born in 1907
and of course my grandfather Vincent George McLaughlin born 11/07/1906.
Their parents where Patrick McLaughlin and Catherine Campbell. Patrick my great grandfather was a wine and spirit merchant, I don't know who his parents were.
I believe James McLaughlin who had a farm in Claggan, Bellarena, had 5 son's James, Daniel, Edward, Patrick and John. Daniel and Edward emigrated to the United States James stayed on his fathers farm.  I know from doing some research on the internet Patrick and John McLaughlin lived in Coleraine and had a career in the licensed trade. I believe James' son Patrick died in 1880 aged 68 and John died in 1897. My great grandfather Patrick was born in either 1856 or 1859 and also had a career in the Licensed Trade in Coleraine so I am guessing one of James' son's may have been 
his father. If anyone could fill in this gap for me and also send other information I would be very grateful.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McLaughlin Family Coleraine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 September 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. You've posted a lot of details but could you please explain exactly what you need help with here?

Here's something about a Patrick McLaughlin, spirit merchant, who died in 1880:
"The Will of Patrick M'Laughlin late of Coleraine County Londonderry Spirit Merchant deceased who died 19 May 1880 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Daniel M'Laughlin of Coleraine Solicitor one of the Executors."
and John McLaughlin died 1897:
"The Will (with two Codicils) of John M'Laughlin late of Coleraine County Londonderry Wine and Spirit Merchant who died 18 June 1897 was proved at Londonderry by Edward Charles M'Laughlin Patrick M'Laughlin Wine and Spirit Merchants and Daniel M'Laughlin Solicitor all of Coleraine the Executors. "
and a William McLaughlin-
"Administration (with the Will) of the Estate of William McLaughlin late of Church Street Coleraine County Londonderry Publican who died 31 August 1913 granted at Londonderry to Mary McLaughlin the Widow"
See www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Patrick married Catherine Campbell in Coleraine R. C. Church, Killowen Parish on 4 Oct 1887.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline franmclaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your speedy reply. I am trying to find out Patricks parents names and possibly Catherine's parents names too, or their date of births so I can get a birth cert which should have their parents names.

I don't have any information on Catherine Campbell for example brothers sisters, parents etc..

Offline franmclaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick McLaughlin & Catherine Campbell
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for either dates of birth or parents names for Patrick Mc Laughlin and Catherine Campbell from Coleraine, they married in Coleraine RC Church, Killowen Parish on 4th October 1887.

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
A marriage cert would show their father's names and occupation.. which you could then user to confirm, or rule out, any birth certs you may locate later on (assuming they were both born 1864 or later).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline franmclaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

Based on the 1901 and 1911 Census Patrick was born in either 1856 or 1859, do you know how I get this information if one or both of them were born before 1864?

Thanks

Fran

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
for birth before the start of civil registration you will need to research parish records. Do you know what religion the family were ? mentioned earlier - RC

However I would recommend starting with the marriage cert. as this provides useful clues than will certainly help your other searches. (father's names, residences of bride and groom at time of marriage, occupations...)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
This looks like a good match for the marriage on the BMD Index :

Name: Catherine Donnelly Campbell
 Registration District: Coleraine
 Event Type: Marriage
 Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1887
 volume : 1 / page : 615

Name: Patrick Laughlin
 [same index references]

The details above can be used to order a cert from GRONI or the GRO

RC baptism records for the parish seem to go back to about 1843 and are available in PRONI (Public Records Office of Northern Ireland) and the National Library (Dublin) - see : Coleraine RC Parish  (Irish Times)

Shane
My Surname Interests