Author Topic: Completed - Can anyone translate this small Swedish Newspaper article from 1859?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,
I have found an excerpt from a Swedish Newspaper, "Folkets rost" of 1859-07-09, concerning the schooner, "The Lady of Mugdrum".  I'd be absolutely delighted if anyone can help with the translation.  I'll attach the newspaper excerpt with this post, but as best as I can summarise and copy, it starts:

"Sjofarande. ...

Gravesund den 30 Juni   ...

den 1 Juli ...

... Catherina. Knoll fran Gotheborg; Anna, Holmberg och Anna Jacob.na, Mahlstedt fran dito; den 2. Comet Balfour fran Marstrand; Lady of Mugdrum; Wishart fran Landskrona ...
"

It forms part of a list, I think of Shipping Intelligence, stating dates and locations, where certain ships were travelling from or to, but I'm only guessing. The entire page is found here:

http://magasin.kb.se:8080/searchinterface/page.jsp?issue_id=kb:55609&sequence_number=3&recordNumber=&totalRecordNumber=

I'd be delighted if anyone could translate around this excerpt as I'm trying to piece together the circumstances that led to the death of my 4x gt grandfather, James Whittet. He was the captain of this ship and it was lost in a storm off Sweden in 1860. I have posted before on this, as I tried to find out what happened to him. If you're interested, the other thread is here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dirfipm6h3hafvlbbieuvktoq1&topic=444235.0

If anyone is able to translate this article, it might give me some further reference to his voyages.

Many thanks in advance, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone translate this small Swedish Newspaper article from 1859?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
I think they might be just simple lists of ships, captains, and places of origin (of the ship). I assume it would only deal with sailings going to or from Swedish ports, which may be part of why only this comes up (also the search function seems to be based on OCR which often doesn't work very well with the style of text used.

GRAVSUND (Gravesend?)
30 Juni (June), Juno (captain Antonissen), from Landskrona, 1 July, Luger (?) (c. Olson) from Soderhamn, Mabel, (c. Dawkins), from ditto
den 2 (on the 2nd July), ... Lady of Mugdrum, c. Wishart, from Landskrona

Google Books has something called Befallningshafvandes femårsberättelser which makes reference to the "Lady of Magdrum" (has him as "Writtel")
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Many thanks for this, I'll go off and see what I can find on Google books - Brilliant!

Best wishes, Jimmijam
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Again, many thanks for your help with the deciphering, and for that link Jorose!

I've had a quick look and its him alright, just a few typo's!

It looks like its a book on Statistics I think. I've taken a quick snapshot of the top of the table that he's mentioned in and also his entry. Again, if you or anyone could tell me what it says, that would be just great.  I didn't think anyone would get back to me on this!! Fantastic.

Best wishes, Jimmijam
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
I'm using the google translater from Swedish into English and so far have deciphered that the table is called:
"List A SEADAMAGED on the coast of Gothenburg and Bohus in the years 1856-1860."

The table divisions look like:
"Date"  "Vessel name and nation"  "Master's name" "Ship Beached"

The main divisions are pretty indecipherable, reading something like
"Mountains? with its own crew?"; "Mountains? with help from the coast" and "total ?fell"

The further subdivisions are tricky, and I've only managed to get something like, "Swedish, Foreign and Sum?".

In the section following James Writtel, it reads something like,
"The entire crew drown.  ? larger portion of the furniture of an insignificant portion of the load? "

I knew that all hands were lost but it doesn't make for easy reading...

I think thats as far as I can get.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
Can't find a translation of "bergade," but from a similar Danish word I think it must mean salvaged, and that most of the furniture but only some of the cargo was salvaged with help from the shore.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Isabel H,
Thanks very much for you reply. You're absolutely correct, I went onto Google translator, this time using English to Swedish, and bärgades does mean salvaged. Brilliant.  So, as the schooner was carrying wheat, I'd imagine that the majority of the cargo would have been spoilt, which is what your translation suggests.

Here's a great maritime link, where I discovered the ship's Official Registered Number:
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/findingoncrewlists.html

I also discovered that Sjofarande means "mariners", so a bit like the UK version of "Shipping Intelligence" of that period.

I also found that the Google Books have put a number of books on line including Mercantile Navy Lists and Lloyd's Register of Shipping, too. From reviewing these books, I've discovered that the "Folkens Rost" article of 1859 is most probably "The Lady of Mugdrum's" maiden voyage!

Thanks for all your help,
Best wishes, Jimmijam
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline loouie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - Can anyone translate this small Swedish Newspaper article from 1859?
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
"the entire crew was drowned but a considerable amount of cago was saved"
London: Hopwood, Grove, Hill, Cox
Cambridgeshire; Hill, Atherton, Adkins/Atkins, Pamenter
Leicestershire; Holwell, Goadby

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - Can anyone translate this small Swedish Newspaper article from 1859?
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 November 10 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loouie,

A belated thank you very much for this,

Best wishes, Jimmijam
Davidson Whytock Whittet