Author Topic: Sir Thomas Boor Crosby, where is he buried please?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir Thomas Boor Crosby, where is he buried please?
« on: Tuesday 14 September 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I wondered if anyone could help me please. I'm looking for the burial place of my ancestor Thomas Boor Crosby. He was born in 1830 in Gosberton Lincolnshire, the youngest Son of a farmer. Thomas became a very well known and highly respected Surgeon in London, he was knighted in 1907. Thomas was the first medical Doctor to hold the position of Lord Mayor of London in 1911/1912, and also the oldest at the age of 81!
As he held the position in 1912, Thomas organised The RMS Titanic Relief Fund  which was raised by public subscription.
Thomas died 7th April 1916 at his home in Gordon Square Bloomsbury London. I have been unable to find out where he is buried. I am also puzzled by the death of his Wife Anne, the only one that I can find to fit was in Dorking district 1896, the time is right, but not the place. If anyone could help me with these problems I would be very grateful, many thanks in advance!

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Thomas Boor Crosby, where is he buried please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 15:54 BST (UK) »
There's quite a lot of stuff about him on Ancestry, including his will.  He left a considerable sum (over £39,000) to Herbert Thomas Crosby and Ada, who I presume were his children ?

Still looking.......  :)

Just one question, when you said (referring to his wife's death) 'the time is right', how did you establish the likely time ?  Incidentally, other Ancestry trees suggest his wife's name was Mary Ann ?
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 15:57 BST (UK) »
You're in luck, mew64!

There was notice in The Times newspaper (12 April 1916) saying that his funeral was held at Kensal Green cemetery, after a service at St Pancras Church

Dazey

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
I am also puzzled by the death of his Wife Anne, the only one that I can find to fit was in Dorking district 1896, the time is right, but not the place. If anyone could help me with these problems I would be very grateful, many thanks in advance!

From The Times, 4 March 1899*

IN MEMORIAM

In ever-loving memory of ANNIE CROSBY, wife of Thos. Boor Crosby M.D., of Gordon-Square and Fenchurch-Street, London and Broome-hurst, Dorking, who died at Dorking on March 4th, 1896.

*Similar notices also published on 4 March 1897 and 4 March 1898
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
thank you so much for all of your help. The tree with the most info on Ancestry is mine (Johnson/Stanley tree) I've been researching Thomas for a while now, he's a great project to work on!
I'm thrilled with all of this info, especially  from the Times regards his Wife Anne's death, can I ask how you found it please, is it a pay per view site?

I didn't know that they had another home in Dorking. I have a copy of Thomas' will which makes very interesting reading as you can imagine, I don't recall any mention of Dorking though.

Thomas and Anne had three children, Ada 1860-1948, never married, assisted her Father as Lady Mayoress in 1911/12, was awarded MBE for her charity work with poor children etc.
Herbert Thomas 1862-1940, followed in his Father's footsteps as a Doctor, never married, and their other Son was Charles William, born in 1861.

The 1881 census shows him at home with his Parents, he was a student of fine art at that time, after that I haven't been able to find him anywhere, I thought maybe he went abroad to study? Any ideas would be most welcome please!

Once again, many thanks for your time and efforts.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:22 BST (UK) »

I'm thrilled with all of this info, especially  from the Times regards his Wife Anne's death, can I ask how you found it please, is it a pay per view site?

Depending upon where you live, you may be able to access the Times Digital Archive free online as part of your local library membership.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
their other Son was Charles William, born in 1861.

The 1881 census shows him at home with his Parents, he was a student of fine art at that time, after that I haven't been able to find him anywhere, I thought maybe he went abroad to study? Any ideas would be most welcome please!

From The Times, 7 Nov 1942

Deaths

CROSBY: On Nov 6, 1942, CHARLES WILLIAM CROSBY, of 19, Gordon Square, WC1, elder son of the late THOMAS BOOR CROSBY, M.D., F.R.C.S., LL.D.  Funeral arrangements later. R.I.P. 

...and two days later, on 9 Nov 1942, another notice announcing the funeral to be held on 12 November.  Service at St Pancras to be followed by interment at Kensal Green Cemetery.

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
Charles William Crosby of 19 Gordon Sq, London WC1 - died 6 Nov 1942
1901 census
RG13; Piece: 622; Folio: 143; Page: 38
Sandlands, Roman Road, Dorking

Transcribed as Charles W Owsley, born 1862

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast index has a Charles W Crosby born 1862 living in Reigate, Surrey in 1891