Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51989 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 11 July 21 08:43 BST (UK) »
This is a really interesting thread with lots of photos and exciting stories and a great example of relatives reaching out to each other.

I've read half of it ...am commenting to bring it to top of page so i can read later .I'm not a WALSHE WALSH

Since the topic was started in 2009 and last commented on in 2017 DNA tests have become more popular I wonder if any of you contributors have tested and confirmed your links and found any relatives born
"Outside the blankets"
Always a possibility of descendants of seafarers to have relatives worldwide !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Boker Lad

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 28 August 21 23:11 BST (UK) »
Still not given up on my Walsh connections.  I received the birth certificate for Thomas Walsh, born 1874 with parents John Walsh and Mary Furlong.  Had been told maybe granddad (John Joseph) was a late arrival in 1882.  Found a Thomas Walsh in the 1911 census, 38, same age as the birth certificate I have.  He lived in 4 Paradise Row with wife Mary and 3 daughters.  He is shown as a painter.  Does he belong to any other Walsh who uses this site. Also a James Walsh, age 52, in 9 Paradise Row married to Mary Anne.  Grandad had brothers by that name.  Fingers crossed as always, Anne

Keep your hands off them, they are mine! :)
James Wash of Paradise Row is my great-grandfather, born 1855 in Kilrane parish, died in Wexford in 1944. His parents were Martin Walsh and Catherine Cooper, while Mary Anne was his second wife. By his first wife, Julia Brennan of Davidstown, Glynn, he had one son and 6 daughters. His daughter, Mary (ca 1882-1960s)  married James Walsh, a younger brother of your grandfather. I have to say that your James was a rogue, who deserted his wife and three young children. Mary had to raise the children on her own in Liverpool. The Thomas Walsh of Paradise Row is another, more distant relative of mine, a son of another Martin Walsh and Dora Donnolly.  Hope this clears things up.
    That Thomas Walsh of 4 Paradise Row , a painter and aged 38 in the 1911 census,  worked as a painter in Pierces Foundry  Wexford Town, who produced farm implements and bicycles  etc. Thomas painted the fine writing on the bicycle frames. He also made hurling balls ( sliotars) His son Jim died when about 10 or 11. He had daughters , Dora, Molly, Peggy , Kathleen