Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51614 times)

Offline Leabhair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 31 October 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rattler,

There was a Captain Matthew Walsh from Wexford in the early 19th century.  He was married in 1797 to a Catherine Parle, I believe.  He was very active and eeven sailed to Quebec.  I think he died in the 1820's.  He had a son named Michael who was also involved with the sea

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 31 December 09 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Leabhair.  My computer collapsed  a while ago and I am just getting back to all the sites I have left messages on.  Not sure if Michael is from Grandads family.  My gt.grandfather was John, proberbly born aroun 1840-50 so Michael could be from the generation before.  I am off to Wexford end of March so who knows, I may find another bit of the Walsh zigsaw.  Happy Christmas and hope the new year is a good one for all readers.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Leabhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 02 January 10 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anne,

Thanks for the response.  I totally forgot that I went to this site.  The reason why I went on line was because I will soon be selling a diary kept by Mr. Walsh to the National Library of Ireland.  I have been very lax on doing the preliminary research to better explain what it is and can tell you very little at present.

Anything I obtain of worth is always offerred to the National Library first, if the item belongs in Ireland.  I gave them my own collection on the Irish in America in memory of my parents.  It numbers over  5100 titles.  If you are interested in such things, you can go to www.nli.ie and under author type in Griffin, Stephen.  Hopefully, this Walsh will be a relative.

Happy New Year

"Leabhair"  Steve Griffin

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 02 January 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve.  I tried the site but could not find author.  I will keep trying.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Leabhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 02 January 10 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anne,

Once you get onto the NLI site, click on books, and under books, you will see author, then type in Griffin, Stephen  That is how they list the books in my collection.  I also have an annotated list of the books, written in Word, which I could send to you if you wish

Regards

Steve

Offline kevin walsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 04 February 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone my name is kevin walsh and im a great great grandson of thomas lanigan walsh my great grandfather was his son willie (william) walsh of the Faythe his wife was maggie nee(stafford) and there oldest son willie walsh of wolfetone villas was my grandfather and my  father is liam(william) walsh also of wolfetone villas now i also have a brother called billy (william) the Irish boxing coach and i also have at least two first cousins called william,i came across this site by chance my father seems to have a life time of knowledge on family and if we can be of help to anyone feel free to let us know,i have a few things to share with you,thomas lanigan walsh was a fine big healty man in his mid 90s and one day he was coming out of the Friary Church and crossing the road he was knocked down by a horse & cart my father said he didnt die but he was never the same and after a year to two year he did die at the age of 97,now on a happier note how he got the name Lanigan the story goes that there was a famous singer of the day called Lanigan----------? he was to play a concert in the Theatre Royal in Wexford But for some reason he didnt show and i gess to avoid a riot  Thomas Walsh got up onto the stage and entertained the audience so he was called Lanigan ever since that day. Before i go there is one other thing while glancing through this site i came across a note from a gentleman whos name escapes me at the moment  but he thaught he had picked up the E on the end of Walshe  along the way but i would like to let him know that  it was always there but for some reason it was lost in time ,my fathers birth cert has an E at the end of  Walshe. BEST REGARDS Kevin Walsh

Offline MirPG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 04 February 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin, Good to hear from another Walshe, yes my Mother used the "e" also. Her father was Capt. Pat and a brother of Willie of the Faythe. whom I met as a child, together with his wife Maggie. It will be great to be filled in on  the tree on your side of the family. Kevin in South Africa has been looking for that information and will be delighted to hear from you.  He has an awful lot done on the tree to date. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Offline Kevin W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 05 February 10 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin

My grandfather was James (Bressie) Walsh who came to South Africa in 1900/1901. I am in contact with descendants of the families of Willie, Pat, Joe and Thomas. I met your great grandfather Willie in 1976 when I visited Wexford. I would love to hear from you.

Kevin Whyte

Cape Town

Offline kevin walsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 12 February 10 10:47 GMT (UK) »
message for mirpg & kevin whyte it is great to hear from family ,im sorry it took me untill now to get back but ive been spreading the word,i am very excited to hear from you both,in wexford no matter how distant a walsh cousin there still your cousin, kevin i have a question do you have a brother jimmy living in ireland because my father has met a james /jimmy whyte from cape town on a couple of occasions,i have some info that i know will help,my brother billy and cousin Toddy walsh have come on board and im going to direct them to this site Toddy is my grandfathers nephew son of Anthony/Tony who is another son of Willie (The Faythe) i think they will have a lot of knowledge between them,i also might be able to get a lot of info myself we have a cousin in Manchester (uk) who about 10 years ago started to do a family tree and i did some foot work for him,he is another grandson of Willie (The Faythe)through Willies son Kevin so im in the prosess of contacting him,We would love to no more about james and how he managed when he left the ship it must have been very frightening so far from home we can only imagine,mirpg dont feel left out of course i would also love to hear of your side of the family but it just took me two hours to type this much im a bit of a computer virgin anything u could tell us would be great ,maybe your full name to start with ha ha talk again soon cozez kevin walsh