Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51606 times)

Offline Kevin W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #45 on: Friday 12 February 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin

MirPG is Miriam Gavin a granddaughter of Capt Pat Walsh of Kilmore Quay. I have emailed you and your brother Billy.  Yes, my brother Jimmy lives in Athlone, Co Westmeath.
We have much information to share. Therefore, check your respective e-mails and reply directly to me. Thanks.

Regards

Kevin Whyte

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 12 February 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
New members generally need 3 posts to use PM (personal message) system so Kevin might have to make 1 more post before viewing PM and respending.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 29 July 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello all Walsh/Walshe.  I have been through the 1901 census again and this time I found what appears to be my grandfather and his family.  They lived at 1 Castlehill Street, Wexford Urban 2.  His parents, John and Mary were 40 yrs.  Grandad 18 which is correct as he was born March 1882.  Also shown are William 15, James 13 and Frances 9.  I think he had a brother Tom.  I found a Thomas on the 1911 census, 31,  married and living at 2 Still Lane.  I could not find my great grandparents in that census.  Hope the address will link me to others from same branch of the Walsh family.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 09 August 10 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, another break through with my Walsh family.  My grandfather had a brother James.  In the 1901 census he was 13 giving his birth year 1888.  I have been told today that he went to South Africa.  I have seen mention of a James Walsh skipping ship in S. Africa.  Could they be the same people. 
Wexford Town..

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 22 August 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
I don't know if my Walshs are connected as there are so many in the area. I have
Richard Walsh (e) born in 1870s who married Catherine Wickham
they have 13 children Aria/ John/ Mary/Ann/ Anastasia/ Catherine/ William aka Jes/ Richard/ Ellen/ Frances and my great grandmother Margaret

I know they were nealr all Rosslare lifeboat men and that richard had sons richard and Jim. 
Anastasia married John Pear
Vatherine married a Nevin
William (jess) married a Barry
Richard married a Doyle
Ellen married John Smith and had Richard who we lost contact with in the 80s

We know very little about this side og the family as my Grandad, Margaret Waks son died young.

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 22 August 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Also just found some notes grandad left

Richard Walsh who married Catherine Wickham was very tall stary blue eyes and handsome although he lost an eye  young when shooting. he used to go shooting in Sloblands.

John Walsh, son of Richard Walsh and Catherine Wickham was a well known character in Rosslare, his funeral was huge, he was a bachelor small and handsome with the family trait of really blue eyes. An expert fisherman and seaman and a wit. He hed been a diver and gunnery instructo int he Navy and then served in the lifeboat taking part in the famous Fethard lifeboat recscue.

His sister Kate lived as a spinster in a small cottage in Hopeland

His other sister Anastasia married John Pear and was alway "giving out"!  Their son Bill was a  great boat builder.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 22 August 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
I spotted your comment about the blue eyes.  I am trying to find more of my grandad, also John Walsh.  He was small with twinkling blue eyes.  I put a pic of him at the very start of this thread, hoping someone would spot a similarity with their Walshes.  I keep trying to get someone to claim him as one of theirs.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
Anne,
I know our John Walsh was a bachelor all his life and born roughly 1880s to 1890s, but some of his siblings had children named John Walsh too. Sadly I can't find their dates of birth what with the dodgy Irish records.
  I do know all the Walshs had the family trait of incredibly starey blue eyes which I have and my dad and his dad too. They intermarried a lot with the Wexford Wickhams too.
 Nearly all the Walsh men were lifeboat men in Wexford and Rosslare or Lightboat men. Have you checked to see if your John ws as well? I've ordered a book all about the wexford/rosslare lifeboats as it has some more info about our Walsh men in there.

Any info you can give me about your Walshs may help me any anecdotes, tales jobs etc. We have quite a few of the same about the Walshs in the same area and era here that may tie up...
looking forward to hearing from you
Clairex

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire.  Grandad was born March 1882 in King Street, Father John and mother Mary Furlong.  They lived there till he left school in 97-98.  In the 1901 census he is living with them in Castlehill Street.  There is no mention of the family in 1911 census but grandad was marrid by then and sailing from Liverpool.  He had brothers James, William and Francis, possibly Thomas.  Think his brother James stayed in S Africa after jumping ship.  The pic was taken in night before he died, December 1958. Is there a similarity in that friendly face.
Wexford Town..