Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51621 times)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #63 on: Friday 05 November 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I was contacted today by a lady in America.     ((My grandfather(I'm 82)came from Wexford. His name was James, but he had sons named John, James Matthew & Edward. He would have been born about 1846. He married Catherine "Katy" O'Farrell. ))      I don't know for sure yet the name of my gt.gt.grandfather but James has been suggested.  Perhaps the names James and Kate O'Farrell ring bells with someone.  Anne

Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline carrieanne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 06 December 10 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there! Looking for Walsh and Pithman.

My Great Grandparents Bridget Walsh 1901-1958 and Paul Pithman 1901-1983.

They had several children, some stayed in Wexford, and some moved to England, My grandmother  settled in and around London. I met family in Wexford in the mid 90s when I visited with my grandmother( daughter of Bridget and Paul -- also named Bridget, -- known as Brenda Pithman, born 1937, the youngest child who left Ireland at the age of 14. -- married Name Cox. We stayed with my nan's sister in Wolfe Tone villas, a few doors away, in the same street my nan Brenda grew up in. We spent most of our time with my nan's other sister -- Nan,( her name is Nan! ) who lived just around the corner, near the pub (can't remember what the pub was called ) We went there a couple of times. Most of aunt Nan's children live in Ireland! I managed to Trace Paul Pithman, his parents and siblings on the 1901 and 1911 irish census. The problem I have is tracing back further, and tracing Bridget's side of the family -- the Walsh's! I'm unable to get information on Bridget's Walsh's parent's and siblings, as my mother doesn't know. I just want to trace my ancestors as far back as I can go, and to learn more about my great grandmother Bridget Walsh, who was much loved by my grandmother Brenda.

Paul Pithman's parents were Paul and Annie. It has been known for their name to be spelt Pitman. Also Paul Pitman Jnr had another child out of wedlock!

My great grandfather Paul Pithman's Siblings: Joseph, William, James, Thomas, Mary and Anastasia -- Their parents: Paul and Annie. ( Don't know Annie's Maiden name)

Thank you for taking time to read this.

Good Luck to you all in searching your history.
Baldwin - Brixton and Streatham, Lambeth, England   
Baker -  Battersea,  London, England   
Bowden -   London, England.  Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, USA
Bradshaw    - Dublin, Ireland and Manchester, England   
Clack - Reading, England   
Duggan - Wexford, Ireland
Gardiner - Yorkshire, England   
Walsh - Wexford, Ireland   
Shepherd   - Reading, England   
Poskit - Yorkshire, England   
Clark      
Dyer - Wandsworth, England   
Hooker - Lambeth, England   
Oesterman - Holland

Offline dukeslane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 06 December 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
hi carrieanne1
my mothers cousin married a thomas pitman her name is alice obrien i think they had one son michael
the obrien family lived in wolf tone villas and were related to the fenlons / bergins / moores / wilson

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 21 October 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
 I have
Richard Walsh  born in around 1850s  who married Catherine Wickham
they have 13 children Maria born first / John/ Mary/Ann/ Anastacia/ Catherine/ William aka Jes/ Richard/ Ellen/ Frances (fanny) and my great grandmother Margaret  Peg)

I know they were nearly all Rosslare lifeboat men and that Richard  and Catherine son Richard had sons richard and Jim. 

Anastasia married John Pear
Catherine married a  Mr Nevin
William (jess) married a  Ms Barry
Richard married a  Ms Doyle
Ellen married John Smith and had Richard who we lost contact with in the 80s

I have now tracked down Margaret's baptism 22nd April 1879 Parish: Tagoat, Diocese : Ferns, the sponsor is named as William Sheil.
I alos have  William (Jes) baptism, PArish:Tagoat, Diocese: Ferns 7th Jan 1877, sponsor is Patt Duggan ( Duggans are lifeboat men I believe.)

Are there any Tagoat parish records etc I may search to find the other baptisms or marriages? I assume Richard Walsh and catherine Wickham married roughly 1870 given they had many children around these dates.

Margaret and Peg worked at a boys boarding school in Wicklow for a time together. Peg had 3 children and 6 grandchiuldren

John Walsh was in the Navy, a diver and on one of the lifeboats.
 Frances had 5 children and 4 grandchildren

Richard Walsh was a lifeboat man as were his 2 sons Richard (coxswain and his own son yes you guessed it called Richard also a lifeboat man. The Duggans were the brothers in law) and Jim Walsh.  Richard has 4 children in all and 14 grandchildren.

William (Jess) Also a lifeboatman. He lived on a promontory at the mouth of Wexford Harbour which got washe daway and the harbour silted up . Not sure what this village was called..
 He lost his job as a lifeboat man and Coastguard and moved home with John.

Catherine (Kate) lived in a small cottage on the edge of Hopeland, a widow. Had 2 children 12 grandchildren

Anastacia ( ant) married John pear and had 2 children, her son Bill  was a great boat builder. She had 12 grandchildren

Phew! I'm still trawling the www trying to track them all down trying to find a lead to  Richard Walsh and Catherine Wickhams marriage. A clue to tell me where they married or are buried. Or who their parents were..

Offline rkwalsh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
This may be way off of your Walsh clan, but here goes nothing. I have traced my ancestry back to my GG Grandfather Keyron Walsh born 1811, who married a Mary Dwyer. He emmigrated to Quebec Canada around 1825. On their gravestone Mary was said to be from Wexford. There was also a Oliver and a William Walsh. I think his father was a Richard Walsh married to an Ellen Dyer. I would be interested if there are any links to them

Offline Pop1899

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 13 January 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
My Greatgrandfather was a Nicholas Walsh who was born in Kilmore in 1865, he joined the army and was stationed in Cork -Spike Island - where my grandfather was born. and was also stationed at the Curragh.
I believe his father was an Edmond Walsh - we have no information, about him, but I have seen some information o the Wexford resources of a Nicholas Walsh in 1770 baptism.
Could be a relation due to naming convention?

If anyone has any information about this line of the Walsh's I would be grateful.

Any elderly relative mentioned over thirty years ago that there was some connection with the Webbs of Gory and also Terrance McSweeney,long shot I know. Has anyone found a connection or was it just one of those fanciful stories
Thomas Collins Mayo father of Michael Collins born abt 1854 Mayo died South Shields 1930's
Walsh-Wexford/Kildare/Dublin.
O'Reilly/Kavanagh Dublin,

Offline Pop1899

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I tried to send an email to kilmoregeneology.com but it got bounced back

Further to my previous post here is some more information The people I am interested in is

Nicholas Walsh born 7th March 1865 to Edmond and Catherine Walsh (nee Cousins). Nicholas' birth Certificate has them residing in Crossfamoge.

I  have read that there was a baptism of Mary Ann Walsh in Kilmore to an Edmond and Catherine on 14th November 1847.

You also mentioned a note that there was a Mary Walsh born to same parents on 19th July 1854 in Ballyteigue.

Edmonds profession is a fisherman. Stated on Nicholas' birth certificate.

We also have some information that Nicholas was charged with being a destitute orphan in  August 1876 in Duncormick as both his parents wer both dead. We also have the names Willaim Boswell and HS Boyce connected to this. There is a note that he was licensed to a Mr McCormick Carpentry Department 30/4/188? and was readmitted on 31/5/81. We know that Nicholas went to the Artaine School, I do not have he dates to hand, I think from 1876 when he was eleven.

I have seen that there was a death of for an Edmond Walsh in 1874 and that he was born on 1822/25. Is there any information about this.

Is there anywhere that I could search for the court records of Nicholas' commital as my searches so far have drawn a blank. Where might I find a death certificate for Edmond and his wife Catherine.

An elderly aunt said that Nicholas' parent were buried on the island.
Thomas Collins Mayo father of Michael Collins born abt 1854 Mayo died South Shields 1930's
Walsh-Wexford/Kildare/Dublin.
O'Reilly/Kavanagh Dublin,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I have seen that there was a death of for an Edmond Walsh in 1874 and that he was born on 1822/25. Is there any information about this.
Where might I find a death certificate for Edmond and his wife Catherine.

Registration of deaths commenced in 1864, and you can search an Index to these on the FamilySearch website. Once you find possible matches you can order research certs (by post) from the GRO. Walsh is quite a common surname so it may not be easy to find the correct deaths without some further clues..

Irish BMD Index (FamilySearch)

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
 Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Nicholas Walsh born 7th March 1865 to Edmond and Catherine Walsh (nee Cousins). Nicholas' birth Certificate has them residing in Crossfamoge.
Edmonds profession is a fisherman. Stated on Nicholas' birth certificate.

maybe that's Crossfarnoge - which is in Kilmore civil parish. It's a townland of just 59 acres and contains most of the village of Kilmore Quay.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests