Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51635 times)

Offline RoyNW

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thomas (Lannigan) Walsh was my Gr Gr Grandfather, James (Bressie) my Gr. Grandfather and Nicholas my Grandfather. My Mother is doing research but I just wanted to add my info as well. I live in South Africa.

Roy Walsh

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 05 March 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I have
Richard Walsh  born in around 1850s  who married Catherine Wickham
they have 13 children Maria born first / John/ Mary/Ann/ Anastacia/ Catherine/ William aka Jes/ Richard/ Ellen/ Frances (fanny) and my great grandmother Margaret  Peg)

I know they were nearly all Rosslare lifeboat men and that Richard  and Catherine son Richard had sons richard and Jim. 

Anastasia married John Pear
Catherine married a  Mr Nevin
William (jess) married a  Ms Barry
Richard married a  Ms Doyle
Ellen married John Smith and had Richard who we lost contact with in the 80s

I have now tracked down Margaret's baptism 22nd April 1879 Parish: Tagoat, Diocese : Ferns, the sponsor is named as William Sheil.
I alos have  William (Jes) baptism, PArish:Tagoat, Diocese: Ferns 7th Jan 1877, sponsor is Patt Duggan ( Duggans are lifeboat men I believe.)

Are there any Tagoat parish records etc I may search to find the other baptisms or marriages? I assume Richard Walsh and catherine Wickham married roughly 1870 given they had many children around these dates.

Margaret and Peg worked at a boys boarding school in Wicklow for a time together. Peg had 3 children and 6 grandchiuldren

John Walsh was in the Navy, a diver and on one of the lifeboats.
 Frances had 5 children and 4 grandchildren

Richard Walsh was a lifeboat man as were his 2 sons Richard (coxswain and his own son yes you guessed it called Richard also a lifeboat man. The Duggans were the brothers in law) and Jim Walsh.  Richard has 4 children in all and 14 grandchildren.

William (Jess) Also a lifeboatman. He lived on a promontory at the mouth of Wexford Harbour which got washe daway and the harbour silted up . Not sure what this village was called..
 He lost his job as a lifeboat man and Coastguard and moved home with John.

Catherine (Kate) lived in a small cottage on the edge of Hopeland, a widow. Had 2 children 12 grandchildren

Anastacia ( ant) married John pear and had 2 children, her son Bill  was a great boat builder. She had 12 grandchildren

Phew! I'm still trawling the www trying to track them all down trying to find a lead to  Richard Walsh and Catherine Wickhams marriage. A clue to tell me where they married or are buried. Or who their parents were..

I’ve just been reading a book that contains various references to the Rosslare Walsh family referred to in this post

In the 1911 census the number of years married for Catherine is stated to be 52 years (1859). Their eldest child, Marie was stated to be aged 40 in 1901 and 49 in 1911 so she was born around 1860-1. It would appear therefore that Catherine and Richard were married closer to 1860 than the 1870’s

Based on this data it would appear that Richard and Catherine (the latter stated to be 58 and 71 in the two censuses) were born around 1840 rather than in the 1850’s.

The 1911 census states Catherine had 11 children, 9 still living which differs to the 13 stated in the post.

It would appear that Anastasia (born approx 1871-2) married a John Peare, not Pear.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Rosslare/Burrow/693582/

Their son John Walsh of The Burrow Rosslare Strand died on Dec 12th 1954. The following is an extract from p464 of  ‘A Maritime History of Co Wexford - Vol II’ by John Power.

John Walsh was 85 when he died. He was the 2nd last survivor of the crew of the Rosslare (Fort) lifeboat that went to the ‘Mexico’. He had a lifetime experience of fishing…..he was a mine of information on local history and folklore and right up to his death he had a remarkable ability to remember dates and happenings.

He was Uncle of Dickie Walsh, who coxswained the Rosslare Harbour lifeboat in the rescue of the crew of the “World Concord” (earlier in the year).

Chief mourners were Mrs J Smith and Mrs T Harpur (sisters), William, James and Richard Walsh and William Pierce (Nephews). He was buried at Churchtown cemetery Tagoat.

Notes: 

It's possible that John Walsh was buried in the same cemetery where his parents were buried.

William Pierce may possibly be William (Bill) Peare

There is a photo of John Walsh with a Andy Doyle on page 464 of the book

There is a full account of the 1954 lifeboat rescue by ‘Dickie’ Walsh on pages 458-461 with a group photo of the lifeboat crew which includes Richard Walsh, Jim Walsh and James Walsh.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I am off to Wexford for a couple of nights end of the month.  Still hoping to find more of my Walsh history.  I have found from ancestry that Grandad (John Joseph )  had a sister Bridget born 1880 possibly died shortly after.  Also found that when Grandad ran off to sea in 1897, his father John was on his way back from Australia.  Is there anywhere I can check records of sailings at that time.  Each time I go over I glean a little info but still come back as puzzled as ever. Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Still hoping to find more of my Walsh history.  I have found from ancestry that Grandad (John Joseph )  had a sister Bridget born 1880 possibly died shortly after. Anne

I had a quick look at my bits & bobs but couldn't see a baptism record for Bridget. However below is a baptism record for your Grandfather's younger brother, William. He was born on 3rd August 1885 (his DOB stated in your tree is 30/04/1886)

He was baptised on the 4th and the sponsors were Nicholas Greene and Mary Willis.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Thanks for that.  I will change my tree.  I think I got the dates from school records Ger gave me and also 1901 census.  But on that census grandad is shown as 18 when he had turned 19 about 3 weeks before the census was taken.  Every little helps and who knows maybe the sponsors might through open another family connection.  If a baby was still born would it be baptised. there is a record for Bridget, mother Mary Furlong and also a record for death about same time.
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Thanks for that.  I will change my tree.  I think I got the dates from school records Ger gave me and also 1901 census.  But on that census grandad is shown as 18 when he had turned 19 about 3 weeks before the census was taken.  Every little helps and who knows maybe the sponsors might through open another family connection.  If a baby was still born would it be baptised. there is a record for Bridget, mother Mary Furlong and also a record for death about same time.

I've got your Grandfather's March 1882 Baptism record - I'll take another look for Bridget's.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 10 March 12 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't quite make out the surname of sponcer for grandad.  To me it looks like Thomas Lucean but that is a name I haven't come across before. 
Wexford Town..

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 10 March 12 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I have checked census for 1901 & 11 and found a Thomas Luccan who is mate on Castle Talbot lightship, Blackwater in 1901.  In 1911 he is in Faythe with wife Mari Ann and daughter Alice who is single and a teacher.  He is lightship master.  Perhaps my gt.grandfather John Walsh was connected to lightships.  Tantalising all these little bites that come up.
Wexford Town..

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 30 March 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Just back from Wexford.  Think I may have a few clues about my gt.grandfather John Walsh.  Need to work on it.  When I went to the library to book a new slot on the micro film, and I spotted a fellow with a long grey pony tail.  So thank you Jack O'Leary for helping me out on Wednesday.  Good to finaly meet him.  Anne
Wexford Town..