Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51636 times)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Looking through baptismal records in the library, I found a John Walsh born 5th August 1861, christened 6th.  Parents Richard Walsh and Ellen Cogley.  Sponsors William and Mary Murphy.  This date fits in with 1901 census  when John was shown as 40.  If these names belong to someone using this site, then maybe they can help me either claim them or discount them.  Hopefully the first option.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Rattler

I just got to the end of this thread and totally lost my trail of thought. Im sure you posted on one of my threads re Furlongs of Wexford a while back now while searching for your Furlongs , my thread has been updated recently with news of another family of Furlongs that lived in Swan View just doors away from my Furlongs in Castlehill Street (Kevin Barry Street) . I feel that there could be a connection with your Furlong, but not sure what it is yet !!!

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
Shorts.. That's great only just seen your reply! Been away for my dads heart op. Would love to come to Ireland and go to Tagoat to see what graves are there and to see the lifeboat house. I have lots of info on local people from that era I have promised to copy and send to Ferguson Wickahm and his wife who know local families mentioned in the notes we have.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol.  I have been away from the site for a while so just spotted your response about my Walsh and Furlong family.  I have tried several times to find John or Mary in 1911 Irish census but found lots of records with the correct names but none match up with my lot.  Does anyone know if there is a way of tracing census taken on merchant vessels.  Clutching at straws again.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Rattler

If you look on ancestry there is a search facility for occupations and have some stuff on merchant seamen. I typed in John Walsh born Ireland and one for Wexford came up, dont know if this John is too early for yours, but worth a look as this was the only one I looked at.

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again

just noticed that your Great Grandparents names John Walsh and Mary Furlong lived in King Street this is less that 4 mins walk from my Furlongs in Castlehill Street (Kevin Barry Street) . I may be clouding the issue here but I may come across a connection with our Furlongs and your Walsh.

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again Carol.  Grandad was born in King Street and according to school records, the family lived there till sometime in mid 1890s.  In the 1901 census they were living at 1 Castle Hill Street but that is were the trail goes cold.  It does look as though the Furlongs and Walshes had serveral connections.  On Grandad's baptismal record, his godparent is Thomas Lucan who was a lightship man.  I have tried to find a family connection there but so far no luck.  What joy.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
I have been doing a new search tactic and looked at Masters Certificates at the time my Gt.grandfather was at sea.  I found 3 certificates, 1 each for 2nd, 1st and then Master.  The Master was issued 24 December 1892 at Newport.  His DOB was 19 Jan 1859, which about tallies with 1901 census.  Address given was 32 Faythe Street.  Hight 5' 6", brown hair and blue eyes.  My grandad was about 5' 5" with blue eyes.  I am posting this in the hope that someone can connect him to their family and I can either discount him from mine or if I am really lucky, maybe I have finally struck gold.  Desperate Anne.
Wexford Town..

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 13 March 15 06:47 GMT (UK) »
I have been doing a new search tactic and looked at Masters Certificates at the time my Gt.grandfather was at sea.  I found 3 certificates, 1 each for 2nd, 1st and then Master.  The Master was issued 24 December 1892 at Newport.  His DOB was 19 Jan 1859, which about tallies with 1901 census.  Address given was 32 Faythe Street.  Hight 5' 6", brown hair and blue eyes.  My grandad was about 5' 5" with blue eyes.  I am posting this in the hope that someone can connect him to their family and I can either discount him from mine or if I am really lucky, maybe I have finally struck gold.  Desperate Anne.

The John Walsh in those certificates matches nicely with the family of John Walsh you identified as yours in Castlehill St. in the 1901 census.  That is, except for the address?
Also, this John's date of birth on 19 January 1859 has a big implication for you. If this is correct them some of the births to John Walsh/Mary Furlong you thought were yours (ones in 1870s?) are too early to be those of your g-grandfather (he would have been too young). I also think there was more than one family with these names at that time - birth registrations seem to indicate multiple families with these names having children through the 1860s and 70s, while your ancestors probably married 1880 to 1882 time frame?

Separately, we share common relatives, but don't appear to be related ourselves. A great-aunt of mine, Mary Walsh (ca. 1882-1960s), married a younger brother of your grandfather, James, and had three children. The family moved to Liverpool around 1911, after being deserted by James. Descendants are by the name of Fleet and....? Would love to reestablish contact with them (one visited my grandmother in Tramore shortly before her death in the 1980s).

Are you the same person as yellabelly on another board?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area