Author Topic: Cold Bath fields  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Cold Bath fields
« on: Tuesday 14 September 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Has anyone a way of looking up an address for Charles tarrant died 1751 at Cold bath fields london - street directories, deat record etc.  long shot... but maybe someone can help.
Thank you,
PM

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Bath fields
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

You have posted your request on the London and Middlesex Lookup Offers board which is probably why you have not received an answer to your post. I will move your request to the main London board.

Cold Bath Fields started out in 1697 as a spring cure 

'The current 'Sir John Oldcastle' pub is in Farringdon Road, Clerkenwell, but the 1707 one was in Cold Bath Fields, a newly fashionable area based around the discovery in 1697 of a cold spring which was turned into a health spa. It was located in what is now the Rosebery Avenue and Exmouth Market area, to the north of Clerkenwell.'

but as London expanded it seems to have been used increasingly as a dumping ground for rubbish.

http://postalheritage.org.uk/exhibitions/onlineexhibitions/mountpleasant?slide=2

Though it is associated strongly with the prison that was built later on the site (in 1794 when the rubbish heap was cleared) besides the huge rubbish heap pictured on the site above, it also appears to have had a smallpox hospital.

http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/collage/app?service=external/Item&sp=I9%3ACold+Bath+Fields+%28L.B.+of+Islington%29++++++++++++++++++++++++++++%3A205%3A&sp=23049&sp=X

and

http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/collage/app;jsessionid=5756D3F037B78806E212AFEA371E8193?service=external/Item&sp=I9%3ASmallpox+Hospital+(L.B.+of+Islington)+++++++++++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AS&sp=7816&sp=X

'In 1740 Dr Robert Poole was instrumental in creating a charity for the relief of poor persons suffering from smallpox. In 1746 subscriptions were raised for erecting a hospital at Cold Bath Fields, Clerkenwell, on the site of a house that was already used by the charity for the treatment of infected persons.'

This hospital was moved in 1794 at the time of the building of the prison.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

Thank you for that - very useful. I am trying to track down street names and residents c. 1751, and if anyone has any idea what directories etc. might be available, that would be a help. Interesting piece of history, and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

PM

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

The built up area of London would be what is now known as the square mile of the City of London. Cold Baths Fields would be outside that area in Finsbury Middlesex. As London spread in the C18th in particular it began to consume the areas around it but officially London remained the City of London up to the C19th.

This is the London Metropolitan Archives guide to directories it holds

http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/1C6424D5-C980-4915-A2CF-154E13A3D3AB/0/62THEDIRECTORIESOFLONDONANDTHEHOMECOUNTIES.pdf

The Guildhall Library however has the largest collection of directories

http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/8BDA97C5-1CF1-4A8B-914B-AC11BA1DB5C3/0/LondondirectoriesACH.pdf

Was Charles Tarrant in trade - to be found in these early trade directories?

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/England_Directories

http://www.your-family-history.com/article.php?id=4

There will not be a death record for him only a burial in the parish register. Did he live in Cold Bath Fields or did his death occur there in the hospital for instance?

Regards

Valda

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

All have is :"Yesterday. Died at his house in Cold Bath Fields. Charles Tarrant Esq., possessed of a large estate in Leicestershire"  Sept 7 1751." This was sent to me as a PM by another rootschatter who is going to send more detail today. Basically, my Tarrants are buried in Ashbury, Idstone, Bershire, and on the memorial slab it says  Catherine Tarrant widow of Charles tarrant, Late of London... the time frame.

I have worked out in terms of her will and the birth of their youngest son is that the  husband was alive in 1745, but dead  any year before 1807.  I have never found a marriage for them, however, there is a possible birth for the younger son in 1745 in Clerkinwell in the IGI which may connect up. Really I am trying to find a Charles Tarrant who fits the bill, so I am investigating this one to see if he works out. The younger son lived in King-Street, Bloomsbury in 1778, where he registered a patent for a new medhod of gilding and paintwork. On his own or with the parents?   The elder was in the Drawing Office office of the Tower of London mid century. But wife and children retire to Idstone Berks eventually.  Her family, the Kents had been there from at least 1570.

Hope that makes sense - I can go back from the Kents, and forward from the elder son to the present, but am totally blocked on this gentleman..but having fun learning more about London records.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry - made an error there - the eldest son Charles was born in 1730. The putative marriage I  have for his mother and father is as follows:       Charles Tarrant m.  KATHRINE KENT
26 DEC 1727       Saint Giles Cripplegate, London, London, England. i have not found a birth for him yet - going by dates in his military record and memorial slab. However, from all the useful info you have sent me, I see that Cold bathfields Finsbury is very close to this parish. I will be in London at end November as to visit family in Stoke Newington, so would love to have made progress by then.

PM

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

possible

CATHERINE TARRANT
Birth:  06 NOV 1729   
Christening:  16 NOV 1729   Saint John Smith Square, Westminster, London
Father:  CHARLES TARRANT
Mother:  CATHERINE 

By tradition marriages usually take place in the woman's parish.

Regards

Valda

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 September 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda - thank you for that - one  I have not come across before, I will look into it.   What is the source? It is just about possible in the timeframe - but if she is a sibling she most have died early on as she never appears in wills etc. The only two I have are Charles born 1730 and John Kent Tarrant born 1745. I have always wondered what happened in between....

Thanks to another  wonderful Rootschatter who kindly sent me a lot of material in a PM, I am beginning to think I am on the right track with Charles Tarrant at his house in Cold Bath Fields and his Estate in Leicester.

His death was reported in several of the London newspapers,   basically that one sentence and no mention of widow or children...but tantalisingly there is no other mention of him in the timeframe up to 1751.  So I have to locate that house in Cold Bath Field and /or the estate in Leicester to proceed. The only definite record I have of him is on the memorial - I have wills for the mother and the two sons, but he does not figure, nor does land in Leicestershire. Cannot find a will for him anywhere. jury still out...

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 September 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry - missed your comment about the marriage taking place in the woman's parish. I have been through the Ashbury Berkshire Records, and Catherine's baptism is registered, but no marriage. I have not been able to figure out why, as they are excellent well kept records, other than she did not marry there...........Thanks, PM