Author Topic: Need ideas to locate mystery ancestor  (Read 5786 times)

Offline jacklyn13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need ideas to locate mystery ancestor
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 September 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone who's offered clues!  I've located an elderley relative who may be able to throw some light on the mystery ancestor. 

I suspect he is the cabinetmaker in Nanango but I will be going out to speak to my relative in the near future and I hope to post the results (which I hope to get).

It will be interesting to see where he fits into the information offered by the various rolls and gazettes.

Thank you so much for your help.

Jacklyn

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 September 10 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

When you meet your elderly relative perhaps you may consider asking for any knowledge of any WWI AIF service for either of the two sons of Charles Thomas Edwards  ...  I notice that among the digitised records at the National Archives of Australia there's a Charles EDWARDS aged 31 on enlistment in March 1916 (born 1884-5 !)  His place of birth is recorded as Mt Perry, Qld and his next of kin is his step-brother, whose surname is recorded as DAVIDSON ...  Mt Perry is a long way from Windorah and Galway Downs Station but perhaps Charles and Louisa's sons enlisted and their records among the WWI digitised records at the NAA.  ;)

The link for records search is : http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx  search as a guest

I haven't found the 1949 death indexed at the Qld BDM online .... although I can find it indexed at ancestry under ref 003010 page 647, as Charles Thomas EDWARDS, with parents recorded on that index as Charles Thomas Edwards and Louisa Elizabeth Lawrence.   Do you have copy of that certificate ? 

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/mainMenuSubmit.m?main_menu=IndexSearch

Fingers crossed that your conversation with your elderly relative works out well for both of you  :)

Edit to add Re Louisa Elizabeth, have you considered the 1856 birth registration for Louisa E Lawrence at Bathurst NSW, ref 3253 showing her parents indexed as Charles P and Mary ....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sillyme

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hello

Louisa Lawrence married John Clarke a Drover in 1887.  Her two sons John Charles Edwards, and Joseph Charles Edwards  changed their surname to Clarke.  John Charles was also noted on his Death Certificate as Charles Thomas Edwards known as Joseph Clarke.  This man was my Husbands Grandfather.  He was killed by a horse on a Station at Cloncurry.  His brother  Joseph Charles Edwards was known all his life as Jack Clarke!!  It took me months to find the Death Certificate... I doubt if Charles and Louisa were ever married.  Louisa had a Hotel in Camooweal for many years.  I do have a photo of Louisa.   I hope this information has been of some help.  Carol

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 04:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RChat Carol

I am sure that Jacklyn will be delighted to make contact with you via the RChat's Personal Messages method.

You will need to make three posts so that you can exchange private information.

Just reply twice more on this thread will get those 3 posts.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jacklyn13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks majm

I've sent Carol a message, I had almost given up with this relative!

Thanks to everyone who has given me help with this

Jacklyn

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31658732?searchTerm=%22Charles%20Thomas%20Edwards%22
 - how about this fellow, died in 1924 aged 60, listed as a carpenter, aka "Alf Edwards"
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacklyn13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
Jorose

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had wondered if he might had found his way out of Queensland but the name is so common it makes it difficult to tell if its him or not.

I hadn't considered though, that he might also have had a nickname....  I know his sons went by different names but I hadn't considered that their father might also go by a different name or nickname.

thanks for the idea

Jacklyn