Author Topic: William Hall + Jane Blakely: From Ireland to Iowa  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Populist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hall + Jane Blakely: From Ireland to Iowa
« on: Thursday 16 September 10 05:50 BST (UK) »
I would love to find the Irish roots of William Hall and Jane Blakely.  Both were born abt 1819 in Ireland.  They married abt 1838 (perhaps in New York).  In the mid 1840s, the family moved to Clayton County, Iowa.

Jane had a sister who also lived in Clayton Co.: Margaret Blakely, wife of Patrick Uriell.

William and Jane's children were: Nancy Jane (married David Bowles), William Jr. (m/ Annette Thompson), Betsy Ann (died young), Margaret, John C. (m/ Bridget and then Anna Garvey Riley), David (m/ Martha Jane Killen), and Elizabeth (m/ Horace Corlett).

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: William Hall + Jane Blakely: From Ireland to Iowa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 10 08:16 BST (UK) »
Full civil records started in Ireland in 1864, and to research earlier details requires parish records. To start this you first need to establish the family religion and a location for them - i.e. town, townland or parish, so that you can check that early records exist for the area they lived.

Th best way to try to establish this is to follow up on records in the US - such as marriage & death certs, census returns, wills etc

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
I would love to find the Irish roots of William Hall and Jane Blakely.  Both were born abt 1819 in Ireland.  They married abt 1838 (perhaps in New York).  In the mid 1840s, the family moved to Clayton County, Iowa.

Jane had a sister who also lived in Clayton Co.: Margaret Blakely, wife of Patrick Uriell.

William and Jane's children were: Nancy Jane (married David Bowles), William Jr. (m/ Annette Thompson), Betsy Ann (died young), Margaret, John C. (m/ Bridget and then Anna Garvey Riley), David (m/ Martha Jane Killen), and Elizabeth (m/ Horace Corlett).

I'd love to get the lineage of William Hall and Jane Blakely too. Blakely/Bleakly/Bleakley are all variations you need to consider.

Was William a soldier?

Regards
Dave Hall.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Populist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 September 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
Shane, Thanks for the advice.  So far, I've been unable to find any county of origin in the Iowa records, and I don't know which county in New York was their residence before they moved to Iowa.  I haven't given up hope, though.

Dave, Are you also a descendant of William and Jane?  If so, what is your line?  My descent goes like this: William Hall - John C. Hall - Frank Jesse Hall - Anna Carmeletia Hall - Judith Taylor - Jeffrey Taylor.  I was born in NW Iowa.

Offline Populist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 10 14:49 BST (UK) »
I don't think William Hall was a soldier.  I've never come across a reference to that and he would have been on the old side to have served during the Civil War.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 September 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Shane, Thanks for the advice.  So far, I've been unable to find any county of origin in the Iowa records, and I don't know which county in New York was their residence before they moved to Iowa.  I haven't given up hope, though.

Dave, Are you also a descendant of William and Jane?  If so, what is your line?  My descent goes like this: William Hall - John C. Hall - Frank Jesse Hall - Anna Carmeletia Hall - Judith Taylor - Jeffrey Taylor.  I was born in NW Iowa.

Well when I started out researching my families I collected every single Hall record I could get and just stuck them on a simple database, so when I saw your post it looks strangely familiar.

I'm now collecting Bleakey/Bleakley etc

Rather than start you off on the wrong track I'll need to check a few things first.

By soldier I meant here in Ireland. You are on the edge of where records begin so going back further will be very difficult. I just need a bit of time before I can answer you properly.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.