Author Topic: Horsleys  (Read 3051 times)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Horsleys
« on: Thursday 16 September 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
This is a very long shot.

Margaret, the second wife of my 5 x great grandfather, John Horsley, who was born and lived in Yorkshire, came from the IOM. The marriage must have taken place between 1813 and 1841, presumably nearer to 1813.

There were in fact Horsleys, born in England, who were in Lonan by 1841. Maybe they were related to my Yorkshire family, or Margaret was related to John.

I've so far found no marriage record and wondered whether descendants of the IOM Horsleys might be able to help.  She's not an actual ancestor (I'm descended from the first wife), but I am intrigued.
Hope someone can help.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline spall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Horsleys
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
whereabouts in yorkshire?, was this scrayingham by any chance?
Allison
Butler
Jackson
Gray
Ashworth
Hodkin

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Horsleys
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, my Horsleys have no connection with Scrayingham. I've first found them in Hutton Cranswick and further research since I posted my message seems to confirm that John was actually born there in 1773. The family seem to have moved around later. In 1823, they're in Kilnwick and in 1841, John and his second wife are at Elloughton. (I'm not sure this last is a permanent residence, as they're living as a second household unit with his son's family).  John died in Walkington in 1849 and his widow continued living there.
If you know of an Scrayingham link for the IOM Horsleys, I'd be very keen to look into it at this end.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY