Author Topic: 9 Missing McKenzie's :(  (Read 10837 times)

Offline KMcKenzie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
9 Missing McKenzie's :(
« on: Thursday 16 September 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm having a hard time researching the siblings of my Great Great Great Grandfather John McKenzie.

The Parents were John McKenzie and Elizabeth "Betty or Betsy" Sutherland. John and Betsy were Married 18 May 1805 in Canongate, Edinburgh.

Before 1815 the children were born in Inverness-shire - but after 1815 they were born mainly on the Isle of Coll, Argyllshire. The children are -

Margaret McKenzie. Birth - ? Name only appears on Mother betsy's Death in 1860.
Elizabeth McKenzie. Bapt. 21 August 1808, Ardersier, Inverness - ?
George McKenzie. Bapt. 30 April 1909, Kinnellar, Aberdeen - ? (Unsure whether right child)
Charlotte McKenzie. Bapt. 13 February 1811, Boleskine & Abertaff - ?
John McKenzie. Bapt. 4 December 1812, Artnasair Par - 16 May 1891, Campbeltown, Argyll.
Mary McKenzie. Bapt. 6 August 1815, Isle of Coll - ?
Allan McKenzie. Bapt. 2 November 1817, Isle of Coll - ?
Donald McKenzie. Bapt. 7 October 1820, Isle of Coll - ?
Janet McKenzie. Bapt. 1 March 1824, Isle of Coll - ?
Katherine McKenzie. Bapt. 14 April 1828, Isle of Coll - ?

I find it strange that i can't seem to narrow down enough clue's to find a specific sibling. I think i should also attatch this with the Argyll Boards but i dont know if i can do that? It maye be that they emmigrated abroad, but i havent been able to find any documentation of this.

In the 1841 Census John 60 & Betty McKenzie 55 are Living in High Street, Tiree & Coll. Also living there is Daughter Lisa (Elizabeth) McKenzie 25, Son John McKenzie 20, Daughter Janet McKenzie 15, Daughter Catherine McKenzie 13, Grandchildren - Catherine Kennedy 4 & Jane Kennedy 1. Boarders John McPhee 35 & Donald McLean 15. (I can't seem to find births of Catherine and Jane Kennedy to pinpoint who their parents would be).

In the 1851 Census John & Betsy McKenzie are living in the Village of Arinagour, Coll Isle. Also living there is Son John McKenzie and wife Anabella McKenzie, also Daughter Katherine McKenzie, Aged 21.

I know it is a lot of information to take in, and some of it might not make sense but im trying to find the marriages, deaths and children of the list of siblings at the top of the post. I would very much appreciate any help anyone has to offer!

Keelan

McKenzie - Inverness & Argyll.
McCormack - Lanarkshire & Ireland.
McCullen & Gribben - Northern Ireland.
Cook/McCook - Killean & Kilchenzie, Argyll.
Mustard/e - Campbeltown & Angus/Perth
McFadyen/McFarlane/McLean - Tyree & Coll
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Thomas & Cooke - Herefordshire, England
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Evans/Francis/Richards - Trefeglwys, Cemmaes & Merionethshire
Golba - Poland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 9 Missing McKenzie's :(
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 10 00:46 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Census on Coll and Tiree held by the Isle of Coll Family History Society. 1851 Census states. Do not know if these are they, but

John McKenzie aaged 60 Cottar Grimisary
Flora McKenzie            50
Donald                         10

Also:
Murdoch McKenzie  55 AgLab Trialon ( name of place i think)
Janet                       55
James                      20
Mary                         18
Isabella                   13
Sibella                     12

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 September 10 00:55 BST (UK) »
Also:
 John McKenzie  aged 15 servant Gallanach House
In Arinagour High Street,

John McKenzie  aged 60 Army Pension
Betty                          55
Lisa                            25
John                            20
Janet                         15
Catherine                  13

Arinagour Shore Street:
Margaret   35   Cottager
Alexander  9
Janet          7

This FHS holds these records on spreadsheet which you can download. It states how many people were living on the Island/s of coll and on tiree.  It also has a note of ships sailing to places such as NZ Aus, Can,USA etc.
Hope this is of some help or at least goes somewhere towards the knowledge of where they were at any given time.

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 September 10 01:01 BST (UK) »
If these are your people, then when you look on SP you at least know what to write in the boxes provided to search for them and that they were still in Scotland at the time or if they were listed as on a ships manifesto bound for where ever.  I have re-read the last part of your missive and I would say that Catherines parents are John and Betty. It seems to state their relationship if otherwise, like brother etc.

If no joy, then re-request for someone to look on the IGI or the LDS for any matches. Or ask the FHS looking after the records if they can help.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Katherine McKenzie married Hugh MacLean 8/7/1857 Tyree

Donald McKenzie married Mary McKinnon 22/1/1850 Tyree (1851 living with Mary's father Lachlan)

Catherine Kennedy's baptism is on IGI:

Catherine Kennedy b.10/1/1837, bp.4/4/1828 Tyree, dau. of Donald Kennedy and Elizabeth McKenzie.

Very often if married daughters are with their parents on census night they appear with their maiden name, rather than their married name.   Having said that, you will often find a 'wife' shown by her maiden name rather than the married one.   Hence it's somewhat confusing.   Just to confuse things further, often children's baptisms occur as if born of a lawful union but parents weren't married.   (This has happened in my own line).

I cannot find a marriage for Donald Kennedy and Elizabeth McKenzie so were they married or not?   In my case, the parents were married but their son always went by his fathers name.   Anyway, Catherine Kennedy appears to be the daughter of a Donald Kennedy and Elizabeth McKenzie (married or not).

This accounts for 3 of the children but bear in mind that some of them may have died before 1841.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Apologies - I should have said in my case the parents weren't married!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMcKenzie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
Marcie - The census you found with John, Betty, Lisa and co. is definately the right census. I'm not sure as to the other McKenzie's living close by to them. I have no idea why the family suddenly moved from Inverness-shire to Argyllshire. It doesn't seem they had any family there that i can find at the moment - so some opportunity must have presented itself to them for them to pack up and migrate across country.

Annette - I too have found those records on ScotlandsPeople now. But the annoying thing is, i can't find Donald in the 1841 Census and i can't find him after the 1851 Census. Yet on the Death Certificate of his father John in 1857 he is Present. Yet in 1861 i can't find him or his Wife Mary. I am also having the same difficulty with Katherine and Hugh MacLean. Married in 1857 yet unable to find them in 1861 or to find them amongst all of the other MacLeans. Any tips?

I have now found Elizabeth McKenzie's Death in 1882. She is Elizabeth Kennedy nee McKenzie, Widow of Donald Kennedy. So either they kept up the pretence that they had married or they had a child and then married later in life. It is still very annoying that i can't find what happened to the other McKenzie's. See, the other son, Allan who was born in Coll in 1817. I can't find him in 1841, yet i can't find a Death for an Allan McKenzie in Coll between 1817 and 1841.

I have also found a Marriage for a Janet McKenzie and John McDonald in 1849, and them living in 1851 with a Daughter, Ann McDonald. Yet again though, no sign in 1861 or after. Very frustrating! Couldn't they, for my sake, have stayed put!! 
McKenzie - Inverness & Argyll.
McCormack - Lanarkshire & Ireland.
McCullen & Gribben - Northern Ireland.
Cook/McCook - Killean & Kilchenzie, Argyll.
Mustard/e - Campbeltown & Angus/Perth
McFadyen/McFarlane/McLean - Tyree & Coll
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Thomas & Cooke - Herefordshire, England
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Evans/Francis/Richards - Trefeglwys, Cemmaes & Merionethshire
Golba - Poland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If you cannot find them in Coll, try Tyree or Greenoch or Colonsay/Oronsay
Shetland and eigg or rum.  People moved where the work was.  Sometimes it would just be the head of the family and sometimes the whole family for longer periods of time if the opportunity arises.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline PaulMackenzie08

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 July 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All
This is my first post, so please forgive any errors.

One of the posts says John Mackenzie had an army pension. This implies he was an Chelsea out-pensioner (Army). A search of the national archives for these records might be fruitful.