Author Topic: Strattons/Stratons of Kincardineshire  (Read 5153 times)

Offline knitted dookers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Strattons/Stratons of Kincardineshire
« on: Friday 17 September 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am trying to work out if there is any connection between my ggg grandfather, James Stratton, and the Strattons of Lauriston. He was born sometime around 1820, and I think I found him in Dunnottar in the 1841 census. From 1851 onwards he is variously at Turniemiddle or Duffshill, Portlethen, with his wife Jessie Trail, who he married in 1849 in Banchory Devenick/Nigg (recorded at both), along with their children. In the census, it states that he was born in Fetteresso, but I can find no trace in the OPRs. His parents are not named on his death cert (informant was one of his children, though his wife was still alive at that time). I have yet to try the Kirk Session records, but believe they may hold the key... In any case, there was a move by one of the branches of the Strattons of Lauriston from Marykirk to Fetteresso around 1820 when they took on the lease at Farrochie. David Stratton, his wife Susan Taylor, and their children Margaret b1807, Anne b1809, David b1810 and twins James and Helen b1813 (all Marykirk). This James died unmarried in Aberdeen and I have a copy of his death cert, so I know he is not "my" James. The only other piece of information I have that might give a possible clue is that James and Jessie had an illegitimate daughter in Banchory Devenick before they married called Isabel Skinner Stratton - I haven't come across any other Skinners, so this might prove a link to James's family heritage. Incidentally, there was another illegitimate birth in Nigg that same year - John Stratton to a James Stratton and Anne Lindsay - I have often wondered if this might be the same James... I have looked at several volumes in the Angus Archives in Forfar concerning the Strattons of Lauriston and can find no reference there. Any clues or connections to any of the above would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Louisa
Researching the following names in the Northeast of Scotland:
ANDERSON, BEATTIE, BREBNER, EMSLIE, FULLERTON, GARVIE, GIBB, LEDINGHAM, MAITLAND, MORRISON, REID, REIDFORD, SPRING, STRATTON, TRAIL, WINTON

Offline mdundas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Strattons/Stratons of Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi! James Stratton and Jessie Traill are also my ggg-grandparents, through their daughter Jessie, who married Alexander Yule. I am also trying to work out the family tree. I had my grandmother, who was born to their son, Albert, round at the house today showing her my tree and trying to see if she knew anything but she only knew up to the illegitimate birth of Isabella S Stratton. I didn't know that Stratton is actually pronounced Strechan but now I do!!!

Anyway, I don't know which of the children you are descended from but I have a large photo of James and Jessie's daughter with her husband and my great-grandfather, where he is aged about ten. If you are interested I could send you some photos of  their faces.

I will let you know if you I find anything further out.

Best wishes,

Maxine Dundas

Offline mdundas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Me again. Just a thought...if Stratton is pronounced Strechin as my Granny kept insisting today then perhaps it could be mis-transcribed as Strachan. There was a James Strachan born in 1824 (30 Aug ). However, this was not in Banchory Dev but in Strachan. All the censuses show his birth as 1824 and I have had other relatives get their birth place wrong - I had one ancestor say she was born in Scotland when she was actually born near Newcastle!!!

Maybe worth giving some thought to.

Maxine.

Offline knitted dookers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
How confusing! I must admit that I had never heard Stratton pronounced Strechin, as we have always pronouced it as it sounds. Having said that, my link is through James and Jessie's son, another James. He had an illegitimate son, also called James, with a woman named Elizabeth Beattie. He is named James Beattie on his birth certificate and only later does he begin calling himself James Beattie Stratton. James Stratton does confirm that he is the father according to the Banchory Devenick Kirk Session records, which I have since checked. I doubt that James Beattie Stratton had much contact with his father, as his father emigrated to Australia a few years after he was born. He appears to have been raised by his mother's family, the Beatties, so there is a possibility that he was not aware of the correct pronunciation of the name... Perhaps...
To make matters more confusing, I'm pretty sure that the parish of Strachan is actually pronounced Straun!!
Also, when checking the Kirk Session records for Fetteresso, there was mention of antenuptial fornication (!!) between a James Stratton and his wife Catherine Reid. I have found no birth in the OPRs to correspond with this and no child's name is mentioned in the record. I have also failed to find a marriage for these two, but may have some luck if I try name variants... I'm pretty sure I have come across Strattons in Strachan before. I don't have my notebooks in front of me but I'm pretty certain there was a James Stratton and a Martha Smith.
I have also found confirmation in the Kirk Session records that John Lindesay Stratton is indeed the son of our James (before he married Jessie). The Kirk Session accounts are rather hilarious as both Isabel Skinner and John were conceived around the same time in different parishes, and there is correspondence between the Elders. James does appear and confirms the children as his, but is entirely unrepentant. When I have a moment, I will type up the text and email it to you. The records also solve a family mystery as they mention that Jessie is living with her sister at the time, a Mrs McKilligan. This is my grandfather's middle name and he had no idea where it came from. As the youngest of 5 boys, I don't think he asked many questions and there's no-one left on our side of the family now from that generation - my grandfather was the last and he died a year ago.
I'd be really interested to see your photos. The only one I have is of James Beattie Stratton, his wife and their first three children. We can perhaps exchange email addresses by PM.
And thanks again for your reply! :)
Louisa
Researching the following names in the Northeast of Scotland:
ANDERSON, BEATTIE, BREBNER, EMSLIE, FULLERTON, GARVIE, GIBB, LEDINGHAM, MAITLAND, MORRISON, REID, REIDFORD, SPRING, STRATTON, TRAIL, WINTON

Offline mdundas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Louisa! Just as an aside I also have Winton in my tree. My great-granny was a Jeannie Winton, daughter of John Winton, an oil merchant in Edinburgh.