Author Topic: McCann-Felix and Ann McCann of Enniskillen and descendants  (Read 11831 times)

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCann-Felix and Ann McCann of Enniskillen and descendants
« on: Friday 17 September 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Seeking descendants of the children of Felix and Ann McCann of the 1901 Irish census in Enniskillen- Silverhill Townland.  Children were Felix, John "Jack", Mary Jane, Maggie, Lizzie, and Hugh. I am a descendant of Maggie and would like to know our Irish cousins. Maggie married Samuel Hodges in the United States in 1916, after immigrating earlier that year. Would also like to know the parents of Felix McCann and his wife Ann.

Enniskillen, Cork, Cavan, Dublin ; families of Hodges, Carroll, Nevin, McCann; Jack, Felix, Hugh, & Lizzie McCann of Enniskillen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCann-Felix and Ann McCann of Enniskillen and descendants
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the 1901 census entry-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Enniskillen_Rural/Silverhill/1363987

And here's Felix, Ann and 2 children in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Enniskillen_Rural/Drumgallan/515662
Married 37 years so circa 1874. Also mentions they'd 10 children but only 8 still living.

Their marriage certificate should list fathers names and occupations but they were both born before registration of births so you'll need to search for church records to get more family details.

See Introduction to Irish Records-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 11 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I found some details on the McCanns from civil records that might be of interest :

Birth of Felix McCann (jnr), 16 Nov 1887
 Address : Gordonaghy, Co. Fermanagh
 District : Florencecourt
 Parents : Felix McCann & Anne Maguire
 Father's Occupation : Herd

Birth of Hugh McCann, 14 Oct 1896
 Address : Bellanaleck, Co. Fermanagh
 District : Enniskillen
 Parents : Felix McCann & Anne Maguire
 Father's Occupation : Herd

Marriage of Felix McCann & Anne Maguire
 Date : 28 Feb 1877
 Parish/District : Enniskillen
 Husband's Address : Belnaleck
 Bride's address : Skea
 Groom's father : Joseph McCann, Labourer
 Bride's father : Pat Maguire, Farmer

I didn't see a likely birth for Margaret Anne..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 January 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

Once again, thank you, cousin. for the helpful information. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and have an even better 2011.

Shirley Hodges Strickland
Enniskillen, Cork, Cavan, Dublin ; families of Hodges, Carroll, Nevin, McCann; Jack, Felix, Hugh, & Lizzie McCann of Enniskillen

Offline susant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
McCann-Felix and Ann McCann of Enniskillen and descendants
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 02:17 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information on the town/county in Ireland in which Felix Hanlan McCann lived. He was born on June 2, 1836, arrived in New York in 1848 at the age of 12.  His mother was Ann/Anne and I don't know his father's name.  My daughter and I are going to Ireland this summer to track down the town in which he lived.  He is my Great-Grandfather. He is my father's Grandfather, and my father is still alive!

Thank you!
Susan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 09:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

For the Felix McCann from 1901 census- If you type 'silverhill, enniskillen' into Google you'll see a link to map- Silverhill is just outside the town of Enniskillen (heading out A46 Lough Shore Road). If you drag the little orange man onto the map you'll be able to see what the area looks like now.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bmccann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Felix McCann was my great grandfather, my grandfather was Felix McCann junior. I happened to see your post and thought i would send you a reply.

B

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 February 13 02:28 GMT (UK) »
B,
Was your great grandfather Felix McCann married to Ann Maguire of Fermanagh? We had almost given up on locating any of this family. Would appreciate having a more indepth conversation with you and would be willing to share what info I have. Felix Junior, I believe, was my grandmother's older brother. Grandmother was Margaret Anne (Maggie) McCann who immigrated to the United States (New Orleans, LA) in 1916, where she married my grandfather Samuel Nevin Hodges.
Shirley

Offline bmccann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 February 13 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley,

I meant to put my full name on sorry, it's Barry. Yes my grandfather was Felix McCann jr, and my great grandfather was Felix McCann. My father is Gabriel. I live just outside Enniskillen in Ireland. I have been speaking to dad and he says that Maggie his aunt did migrate to the US, he didn't know her or any of the other aunts or uncles though. He did say that John moved to Scotland and that he thinks he was killed in an accident where he worked on the docks. does this sound correct to you. he has photos of my grandfather and Hugh.

i'm new to this and can't seem to reply to your message sorry.

Barry