Author Topic: Birth Certificate  (Read 4782 times)

Offline 3dachsies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Certificate
« on: Saturday 18 September 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
I have obtained a birth certificate for what I believe is my grandmothers birth but her date of birth is different to the one I was lead to believe (only by 4 months) but as we have no idea who her parents were - only her siblings I will presumably need to get more birth certificates to see if this is a. the correct one and b. if not start again??  I cannot seem to find her siblings on searches relating to these parents on the birth certificate.  Where am I going wrong??

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 10 10:34 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to find her family on a census?  Even if she's the youngest and born after 1911 you might be able to find her elder siblings and thus her parents' names. 

If you post as many names as you know for her and her family, some rough dates and perhaps an area to look in, we'll have a go at finding them for you.  :)

Heather  (edited to add - Welcome to Rootschat by the way!  Sorry forgot my manners there  :-[)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3dachsies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
 :)Hi, thanks for reply,  on 1911 census she was living in Bray with her younger sister Cecily and Brother Cecil  and so was her father (well same name anyway and age 32 seems about right)  and mother. My Dad always said his mother lived in that area as he used to visit Burnham Beeches (close to Bray) as a child which leads me to suspect there may be other family there.  Dorothy died before my father married my mother and he was an only child so can only rely on what my mother knew as the family seemed to split!  We believe Ernest died in the war but cannot seem to find that either but they must have moved to Swindon at some time as they were there when Dorothy met my grandfather and married in 1925

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:08 BST (UK) »
So is it linked to that Vyvyan thread?

Surely now as you knew her dad's name from 1911- you can tell if the birth cert gives her father as him?

And now you know who her mother is?

Confused ;D

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
I have obtained a birth certificate for what I believe is my grandmothers birth but her date of birth is different to the one I was lead to believe (only by 4 months) but as we have no idea who her parents were - only her siblings I will presumably need to get more birth certificates to see if this is a. the correct one and b. if not start again??  I cannot seem to find her siblings on searches relating to these parents on the birth certificate.  Where am I going wrong??

When your grandma married your grandad didn't the marr cert have her dad's name on it?

Haven't you got the family in 1911 with her younger sister Cecily and brother Cecil?
I'm sure that's what the other thread said- in which case you also have her parents.

Carol

Offline 3dachsies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 September 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes  sorry for the confusion, I have a birth certificate for what I believe to be my grandmother but her d.o.b. is feb 1904 on her certificate but on other info I have her d.o.b. as June 1904.  This may be because her mother was pregnant when she married but I don't know when that was yet.  That is where the confusion is at the moment but I assume it is the same family as there is no evidence to the contrary.  Thanks.   ;)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 September 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Are you getting muddled up with the fact that although she was born in Feb 1904, her birth wasn't registered until the next quarter which would be shown as June 1904 on the registers?

Lizzie

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 September 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes  sorry for the confusion, I have a birth certificate for what I believe to be my grandmother but her d.o.b. is feb 1904 on her certificate but on other info I have her d.o.b. as June 1904.  This may be because her mother was pregnant when she married but I don't know when that was yet.  That is where the confusion is at the moment but I assume it is the same family as there is no evidence to the contrary.  Thanks.   ;)

It is very likely that she had two dates of birth  ;D one is the official/true one ie Feb,and the other one is the one they used to people because she was born before her parents married. :P

Nowadays babies are almost expected to be born before the parents marriage  ;D

Carol