Author Topic: Death Certificate for Joseph Burrell.Completed.  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Death Certificate for Joseph Burrell.Completed.
« on: Saturday 18 September 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
my greatgrandfather is Joseph Simpson Burrell, born 16th April 1846, Winlaton, Durham.
I have his birth and marriage certificates and would like his death certificate but for some reason it is proving a problem.  His middle name only shows on his birth certificate .(no Father, which is probably relevant to that fact)
On the 1911 census he is living at 56, Ash St, Benwell, Newcastle, with his wife ,Isabella.
She died in February 1927 and her death certificate says Widow of Joseph Burrell.
My Auntie thinks he died about 1925.
So far, I have 3 incorrect death certificates. (£27.75 !!!!!!!!!)
All the other death indexes between 1911 and 1927 I seem to be able to exclude for one reason or another and I wondered if anyone had any ideas what I could do now other than
a) give up :'(
b) send for loads more death certificates :o

Any advice appreciated, as I somehow feel a mistake has been made somewhere along the line in the registration.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate for Joseph Burrell.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
Death registrations are dependent on who reports the death and their personal knowledge of the deceased, so errors can occur

If it was a relative/friend who reported the death, they may have been unaware of his middle name.  Isabella's death cert only refers to him as Joseph

Indexed as Burell on the 1911 free index
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 September 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of trying to track down the burial - might take longer but would be cheaper  ;)

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Newcastle/Cemeteries.html

Christine

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 September 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi thank you for your replies. Firstly CaroleW thank you for the thought of who would have reported the death - it could have been anyone I suppose and the middle name is certainly not on any of the censuses or his  marriage cert, so he did ignore it. I have an original copy of the 1911 census showing him living at Ash St with Isabella and some of his children.Secondly CSide thank you for the link to a site to check on the burial, that is something I did not know of and so is a great possibilty. Would everyone have been buried then or did they have cremations? If he was poor would he have been buried and recorded in the normal way  - I know nothing about pauper graves but actually I don't think they were that poor anyway.I'll let you know if I find him.
Best wishes HL

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 September 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I think that around 1925 he would be more likely buried than cremated.

Pauper or not his burial would be recorded - if he was buried in a church yard then he will be in the burial records for that church, if civil cemetery then he would be in their burial register.  I think the parish church for Benwell was St. John's Newcastle.

If you look around the Northumberland section of genuki - link above - you can find out more.

Christine

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 September 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine,

Thank you for that information. I have spent a long time tonight looking around the various sites and records but no luck so far. There is very little online for Northumberland and so I am thinking an option would be to have someone from Newcastle Archives do some research for me and pay them the necessary time. On the other hand perhaps there may be records online one day.I am going to join NDFHS and perhaps they will have some records in book or cd or fiche. Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

Best wishes .
Best wishes HL

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 September 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
I gather you have tried the Joseph Birroll/Birrell 1922 age 73?  Or the Joseph Burrell, age 72 registered in Gateshead 1917?

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 September 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice, thank you for looking those records up. The Joseph Birrol/Birrell record I dismissed because the age was wrong although I thought the name error would be an easy mistake. The other death is a possibility and I think I will send for that certificate although I had expected the death to be registered in Newcastle upon Tyne as that was where his wife's death was registered. However Gateshead is very close.

No, best ignore the last sentence I have just checked and I have that certificate and it is definitely the wrong one, so perhaps the first one is a possibility.

I looked at the web sites other members suggested and am disappointed there is not more online information for Newcastle. Even if I don't solve this immediately I'm not going to give up, so will just keep my eyes open for the various options and therefore hopefully the solution.

Thanks again. Best wishes.
Best wishes HL

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 September 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
Deaths are registered where the person died.  So I was in Northumberland today and if by some reason I died that would be where I would be registered not in Washington, Co. Durham where I stay.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------