Author Topic: Lindsell/Linsell/Lynsell surname  (Read 23970 times)

Offline Herbie_Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsell/Linsell/Lynsell surname
« Reply #63 on: Friday 12 June 20 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My Grandmother's maiden name was Linsell.

She was the second oldest of 4 siblings. Born in Walthamstow, London.

Auntie Eva was the oldest and a pianist, she married Ernest Tyson (a violinist) and they played together on cruise ships for a while. They moved to Welling Garden City. Had 5 children;
 John (who married Pat and had a son called Paul who died aged 7).
 Ernestine (who married David Hedger, had a son called (*) and lived in Hitching, Hertfordshire).
Francis who never married as he became a monk, Christopher who married Christine and moved to New Zealand where they had 2 daughters (*).
(*) who became a Nun and lives in a closed order which has now moved to Nottingham.

My nan, Ethel Violet married my Granddad Hubert Stanley Cooke and had my mother (*), they lived in Waltham Abbey, Essex. She in turn had myself and my Elder brother (*) (we were both born in Epping). He and I had 1 child each.

Uncle Freddie (Fredrick) married Vera and had 3 children (*) (had no children), Tony Pace-Linsell (adopted Son, had a son called (*), moved to Cornwall, passed away several years ago). (*) had 2 children (both now have children of their own) by his first marriage and 1 with his new partner - (*), they live in Wood Green.

Auntie Ollie (Olive) the youngest was born in 1915, was a pianist who toured Europe with the Red Army and played the Royal Albert Hall, she never married or had children and passed away approx 10 years ago aged 92.

My Uncle Freddie had traced his family tree back to a Squire of Linsell and mentioned Baintree but I have now discovered there is actually a village called Linsell in Essex.

My Great Grandparents: unfortunately off hand I don't have much information, I think my Great Granddad was called Albert (when family referred to him they called him Pop, I'll find out more from my mother tomorrow and update). I know he was a French Polisher and had a brother (maybe more?).

My Great Grandmother lived in High Beech, Epping Forest where she sold cups of tea!

The legend was her house was next to Dick Turpin's hideout where he hid Black Bess, probably just a tall story though!

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Herbie_Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 19 November 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rick,
I cannot contact you by message on here and my emails to the address you gave me keep being returned. Please look for me on Ancestry under the surname Hopkins or in your DNA list.
I'd really love to chat with you but am limited at present. Regards, Herbie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 20 November 20 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Herbie,

New members with only one post are unable to access the PM function until they have made a couple of posts on RootsChat.

Looking through the topic I am not too sure which member you are trying to make contact with and I can not spot a rick ?

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Herbie_Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 20 November 20 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
It was regarding a dm from another user who had read this post. As I could not contact him another way on this site and didn't want to appear to be ignoring him, I posted here in the hope he would return to this post and find my message.
It's fine now, as I've managed to find another way to contact him.
Regards,
Herbs

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 20 November 20 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Herbie for posting, the information was still interesting for those of us still interested in the thread!
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 13 February 21 17:05 GMT (UK) »
hi
I have LINSELL on my family tree

William Linsell was born on 25 Feb 1821 in Finchingfield, Essex, England.
he was in the 70th Foot (W.Indies & India)
he was one of at least 9 - his daughter was Sarah and she Married at 13/14yo
and her 2nd Husband was William Oakley my Great Grandfather x5

I dont know if this fits in with your tree, please feel free to contact me
Jeff
GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 14 February 21 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply, William of Finchingfield is indeed in my tree something like 6x cousin x6 removed. His parents were John and Elizabeth Shelley. He married Susannah Spurgeon c1850 and they had 2 daughters who died in old age as spinsters.
The William to whom you refer as a Sgt was born in Bocking - there were so many Linsells/Lindsells about, it isn't easy, I haven't quite worked out where he fits in yet!
Best wishes Sue
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 14 February 21 09:44 GMT (UK) »
hi Sue
Bocking comes up also on my list (use to work with a girl who's surname was Bocking many years ago!)  My Willian Linsell b821 Married Mary Golway in Manchester (she died + 4 of her children in India) but her 1st daughter Sarah(born in Newry) survived and was married at 14.. I have attached a screenshot of this part of the Family, I have John & Sarah Shelly as his parents & John Parents as John Linsell b1755 & Mary Portway b1761..anything wrong or right let me know
kind regards
Jeff
GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 14 February 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the information, your tree section look as mine apart from William, I am pretty sure it's not that William. The 1871C of William of Finchingfield shows him married to Susannah with their 2 daughters, same also for 1881C, so I'm pretty sure it the Finchingfield William.

William of 70th Foot in on Braintree census in 1871 and 1881 with a wife Mary from Ireland. On 1861 he's in Kent Gillingham, in a military holding place, with again wife Mary from Ireland and a daughter Hannah age 12yrs born also Newry, Ireland - his birth is stared as Braintree.

Definitely the plot thickens!!
Sue