Author Topic: McDOUGALL  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDOUGALL
« on: Monday 20 September 10 04:56 BST (UK) »
William McDOUGALL was married to Frances MANN in Westminster in 1820 and had a son soon afterwards who was baptised in 1828 in London. I have no other knowledge about him so cannot locate his parents or his birthplace. Does anyone have any7knowledge of him. His son was John William George McDOUGALL whom I have been able to research forward to his family in N.Z. Pam at Valetta.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McDOUGALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 September 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

16th November 1828 Christ Church, Spitalfields born 15th November 1821 ?
John William George Macdougall parents  William and Frances, ? Street, father's occupation soldier

11th April 1847 St Leonard Shoreditch
John William George McDougall Full Bachelor Labourer Batemans Row William McDougall Baker
Mary Haywood  Full Spinster Batemans Row Joseph Haywood Smith
Both signed
Witnesses Henry Pike and Louisa Ba?mkay

The absence of the word deceased for fathers doesn't necessarily mean they were not at the time of the marriage since it was merely the custom of practice of some officials to add this information, but by no means all.

Christ Church, Spitalfields 19th December 1821
Francis Mcdougall aged 28 Wilkes Street

1871 census RG10 1382 folio 132
Leavensden Asylum Watford, Hertfordshire
John William George McDougall  49 Patient No occupation at present Not known Unsound mind

Deaths Jun 1886   McDOUGALL  John William G  64  Dartford  2a 251

If his death was registered in Dartford registration district he may very well have been transfered to Darenth Asylum.
Asylum medical records can often refer to family members since Victorian doctors believed mental illness might be in some way hereditary or caused by dissolute lifestyles etc.

Leavesden Hospital records

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=76&hospital=LEAVESDEN&town=&searchdatabase.x=108&searchdatabase.y=6

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 08:42 BST (UK) »
Valda, thank you so much for all the time you have spent on finding out about my 2 times Great Grandfather and 3 times Great GrandFather. I knew a just a few of those facts, but the death, and I presume it is the death of the child's Mother soon after the birth of their baby is new to me. Where did you find that? I do know there are some initial pre 1837 Parish Registers on Ancestry.com but one can only pay to look every now and then. And the fact that he was in the Asylum. I can't wait to have the time to look into those records. And of course, I didn't have John William George's death. You have been great to supply me with those records. It was one of the children of J W G McDougall and his wife, Catherine Downey that came out to N.Z. and became my Grt. Grandfather. They had six sons. If only I could find out who William's parents were but I will have to be patient and hope that one day I find out his death date and that his parents are named on the death cert.
Thank you once again. Regards, Pam Clark. If ever I can be of help to you or a friend do let me know. I live in the South Island of N.Z. - about 24 miles from Ashburton which is 70 miles south of Christchurch.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

Unfortunately English death certificates do not name parents

An example of the information given on an English death certificate

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_176222.pdf

William may of course have died before the start of civil registration 1st July 1837

John William George's patient records might also help track him pre 1871 when he seems a bit difficult to spot. Have you found the family on earlier censuses?

Thank you for the offer of help in New Zealand always good to know if needed.

Regards

Valda

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
Valda,
I have a problem which I don't seem to be able to fix. I want to print out the second email you sent me re McDougall. You sent the death details of Frances McDougall around 1820 just after the birth of her son. You also sent me details of where I could look on the internet for the Asylum records in Leavesden for William McDougall. Every time I go into Roots chat both your first email and your second one show me what you wrote in your first one contact - very frustrating.I am really looking forward to checking them out.  have had a good dose of bronchitis so haven't been able to do anything.
Cheers, Pam.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 October 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Also see Dawn's answer to this post on the beginners board about the condition of the Leavesden Asylum records

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,487943.0.html

You could just copy and past into Word (or your equivalent word processing software) the second post and print from there if you don't want to print the whole topic

Regards

Valda