Author Topic: Banff. Identification. Completed.  (Read 3354 times)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Banff. Identification. Completed.
« on: Monday 20 September 10 07:39 BST (UK) »
I have a letter dated 1843.  I would very much like to identify two places mentioned in it. They look like Kilbinin in the parish of Banff and Baglaw or Bagcaw in the parish of Alvah.

Any help would would be much appreciated as I am trying to find any records for James Smith. He was  Baptised 5th March 1834, the son of Jean Cowie and James Smith. The Baptism details were extracted from the Baptismal Register of Forglen parish. James Smith Senior was drowned in the Bay of Banff in about 1838.

RBC.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banff. Identification.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If you click on this link below you'll see a placename which could be interpretated as Bagcaw. It's Bagrae/Bagra. Hopes it helps.
Regards,
flst
www.abdnet.co.uk/genuki/BAN/Alvah/locations.html

This link will show you all the place names in the 1841 Banffshire census

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~banff1841/Banffshire%20places%20-%201841%20census.html

The witnesses to the baptism of James Smitth appear on the 1841 censuses. Both are farmers. William Adam is at Whitefield & James George is on a neighbouring farm, Backhill of Auldtown.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
Here's links to  previous posts regarding this family.

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,334917.msg2145621.html#msg2145621

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,376930.msg2501855.html#msg2501855

I don't know how much information you have on this James Smith. He is living with his mother & stepfather (Alex. Winton)  at 9 Gellymill Street,Banff in 1851 census.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi flst

Thank you very much for you interest. As you have seen, I periodically try to find this family. I would like to be able to give the letter to a descendant, just because I would find it interesting.

I found the 1851 record for the first time the other day and really thought I had found the family, but now I am not sure.

Jean is listed as Jane and also 60 yrs old she could be the mother of James, but who were the parents of the other children? Are Jane and 60 transcription errors? It would be very helpful to see the original image. It seemed too good to be true that my James Smith was living with a mother named Cowie.

Was Jean Cowie the 2nd wife of Alexander Smith? In 1843 it appears that she was asking for financial support, if she was the mother of the ten yr old child shown in 1851 she would have been with Alexander prior to her request.

Jean Cowie and Smith are such common names it is difficult to sort them out.

I would be very interested to know what you think.  I know I should give up this search but.......

RBC

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose Kilbinin could be a misspelling of Culbirnie, which has already been discussed here?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,483642.msg3420825.html#msg3420825
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 September 10 07:16 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, Thank you very much for your suggestion.

RBC.