Author Topic: Has anyone heard of a place called Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 39027 times)

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of a place called Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 October 06 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

I should have been clearer.
The extracts from Pigots Directory were for Newtown Limavady.

Gary
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 October 06 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary....

Thanks so much for the clarificaton...

All the Best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 02:01 BST (UK) »
Wendy - My father went to L'derry about 1926,and Thompsons had been there for a very long time. ( the old fashioned sort of shop where you went up to a big long counter and someone served you.If it took a while there was a bentwood chair to SIT and wait !!)I personally left L'derry in 1950 and they were still there then. Agnetta

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 October 06 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Agnetta...

Thank you so much for the information....there is a definite possiblity those Thompson's could be related to my Grt Grandad...Unfortunately I have very limited information to go on where he is concerned...he died long before I was born in the early 40's....I honestly believe there are rellies of our direct line in the area of Londonderry, however to date have had no success locating any of them....mind you when you are searching your family tree that is half the battle....hahahaha...

Once again thank you for the information you have sent....all the little tidbits help to complete this big puzzle....

All the Best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Carr-Belfast
Crowe- Belfast
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
McKernan-Australia
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 October 06 09:22 BST (UK) »
Wendy - just to add to your confusion - there are quite a lot of Thompsons in the area I came from - Dungiven - which is about 20 miles from Derry city.I went to school with a Victor Thompson.My husband went to the tech in Limavady with a Norman Thompson.The Thompsons in the area were staunch Prebyterians around Dungiven and Bovevagh (a couple of miles from Dungiven) Good luck. Agnetta

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 October 06 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Again Agnetta....

I know my Thompson's originate from Drumachose, and that they are from Pound Lane now Protestant street...but that is about the extent of the information...Thompson seems to be a popular name in the Londonderry area....James signed that he was presbyterian on his enlistment papers here...so at least I'm headed in the right direction I think......Thanks so much for your insight...I sincerely appreciate it.

All the Best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Carr-Belfast
Crowe- Belfast
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
McKernan-Australia
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline betty53

• Email address not working please contact support for Help
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 June 07 23:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Wendy

I emailed you about the beginning of this year as I was researching my own Thompson family tree from around the Dungiven, Bovevagh, Limavady area.  I then passed your details onto Phillip Marshall from Ohio.  He felt you were not of his family tree but today - I visited the Drumachose church of ireland graveyard in Limavady and found Elizabeth Thompson (I believe nee Marshall) died 1933 and Alexander Thompson died 1920.

There is a bit of confusion here for people who do not know the area - there are 2 x churches called Drumachose.  One is presbyterian and on Church street which runs off from Main street (Marshalls there). and they have an older graveyard outside town. The other church is the Church of Ireland and is called Christ Church but was known by older people as Drumachose because that is what the townland was called - bottom of Main Street.

I do not believe that I am related to either you or Phillip unless I find a direct descendant from some of Alexander's brothers - is the townland of Bovevagh mentioned anywhere in your family history?  I will be doing some research in Belfast and trying to find birth certificates next week - I will let you know what I come across.
Regards
Betty McNerlin (nee Elizabeth Thompson)

ps My dad was William James Thompson, his dad James Thompson (2 x brothers called Edward and Andrew) and his dad called Edward Thompson.

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 July 07 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

I sincerely thank you for passing along the information to Phil, I'm at a wee bit of a loss when it comes to this family.  Seem to be getting nowhere fast....can be extremely frustrating to be honest!

My Grt Granda James Thompson is a bit of an enigma at best...I know he was a bricklayer by trade. The information I have from his enlistment papers for WW1 in Canada, state he was born 31 Jan 1877, however, I have sent to the GRO, and had them search for his birth and have had no luck!  According to his marriage certificate from September 1913, he is listed as being 35 yrs old, and it stated, "lately of Londonderry", in the newspaper entry from the Perth courier.  Have not located his actual immigration as of yet... Now, I have other relatives who "embelished" their age by a few years upon immigrating to Canada....soooo, I'm wondering if this is the Case with James???

His father Robert was 26yrs older than his mother Rachel, at the time of their marriage in Derrymore, Robert is listed as a widow, this leads me to believe he may have had children from his first marriage, however I have not had much success in narrowing down his 1st wife.  According to the 1901 Census, Robert is listed as being 76 yrs old, so, I figure he was born circa 1825, his father was William Thompson.  If my assumed calculations are correct, Robert would have married the first time between 1846 and possibly as late as 1855???  He married Rachel in 1869.   Rachel and Robert have a son Alexander, believe b. 8 Jun 1880. 

Rachel's maiden name was Livingston(e)....I had email from a fellow I have been corresponding with who has Thompson relatives (married into the Forrest Family) but they are farther back than my research allows me to go.....but, he sent entries from Tmalaght Finlagan Church of Ireland in BallyKelly....which could be Rachel's grandfather and Grandmother.

Unfortunately, researching from Canada, makes it harder...the only time I get to check the actual records is when I'm home to Belfast on Vacation....this year will be September....sooo, I'm hopeful to have a few more bits to add then....

Once again, I sincerley thank you for keeping me in the loop so to speak....all little tidbits help to figure out this massive puzzle! Have attached the only photo I have of James....

All the Best
Wendy   
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Carr-Belfast
Crowe- Belfast
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
McKernan-Australia
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 July 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hello again Wendy. Just thinking about Robert Thompson and Rachel Livingstone getting married at Derramore Presbyterian Church. It is very possible that neither belonged to the church but went there for a quiet wedding (due to fat Robert was a widower and so much older) as it is outside the town.
If you go get over in September get in touch beforehand and perhaps we can meet sometime in Limavady. I expect to be there several times a week, probably Friday but not sure what other days until September.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!